FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid Default Color Temperature

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wilson Reyes
Avid Default Color Temperature
on Feb 26, 2016 at 2:37:37 pm

Hi everyone, just wanted to ask if Avid has a default color temp setting? Or does it just base everything on the data from the video when importing?

I can't seem to find anything anywhere, so I'm guessing there isn't, but I just asked to be sure.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Avid Default Color Temperature
on Feb 26, 2016 at 4:46:03 pm

Depends on the project settings.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Wilson Reyes
on Feb 26, 2016 at 6:09:27 pm

Thanks for the reply, I'm not quite sure what that means though. If it's the project settings in Avid, then which options exactly can I control this?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 26, 2016 at 6:15:49 pm

Sorry, I have no idea what you are trying to do. If you can explain that, perhaps we can help. There are two color space types, Rec 709 and RGB 709. You choose the one you want when you create the project.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Feb 26, 2016 at 6:34:14 pm

Is the question referring to Kelvin or ISO?
Not sure if thats even a thing in Avid.
I know that in my RED eco system I wouldnt want Avid to be determining that setting.

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Feb 26, 2016 at 8:47:31 pm

There's no such thing as "color temperature" in any NLE that I know about. Perhaps the OP is referring to white balance.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 26, 2016 at 10:50:39 pm

Anything else is related to monitor calibration and target color space which is new in later versions of Media Composer.

Color temperature tends to related to light sources (lights, sun, etc.) and how the imaging device (film or digital) captures that - it can be corrected on set during production with film stock, filters, or white balancing in the camera, as well as in post depending on how far off it is as well as exposure where grain or noise might become a factor. If you had a color meter you could track the overall color changes from morning to night.

Color Space is what we deal with in postproduction for a particular codec, monitor, color pipeline, and how color might be managed from acquisition to multiple deliveries. Check out ACES workflow for one such solution.

http://www.oscars.org/science-technology/sci-tech-projects/aces

Michael

Return to posts index

Wilson Reyes
on Feb 26, 2016 at 11:35:10 pm

Sorry I didn't explain better, I work at a broadcast company in the Philippines. Basically the pipeline is we shoot with a C300, import to Avid, then send it out to broadcast. The problem is that there's something off (mostly blown out whites) with what we broadcast compared to what we shoot, and we're trying to figure out what's going on.

The question actually originated from my director, and I had no idea what he was looking for.

So on my end, as one of the editors, I had to make sure I understood this better and also, I'm just trying to make sure that I'm going about things the right way and that it's not on my end that's causing the problems.

Now that I understand the correct terms, I was able to find this helpful thread on the difference about the options for color space in the project settings.

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/45/878939

Just to be clear, is there such a thing as default white balance inside of Avid?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 27, 2016 at 1:15:25 am

No. WHITE BALANCE is something you do in camera. When you bring the footage into the Avid, or any NLE, it comes in as shot. The NLE should not alter the colors at all.

But that brings us to color correction. How is the show being onlined and color graded? Are you using an external, calibrated broadcast monitor connected to the system via an IO device, like Nitris DX or AJA or Blackmagic? Because that's they only way to truly judge the colors. The Avid interface, the SOURCE and PROGRAM monitor, aren't designed to be color accurate. So if you grade based on those, it won't look the same when you deliver the master.

Now...the master. When you export/output the master, are you looking at that too? Seeing if it looks good? If it looks good, your job is done. You delivered a broadcast master that looks the way you want it to look. If it looks different on air, there are many reasons why this can be. The way the broadcaster compresses the master for air...the cable or satellite providers compression when they broadcast it...and how the TV you are watching it on is set up. ALL of those factor into how the final product looks when you watch it at home.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]