FORUMS: list search recent posts

sound on audio only clips out of sync with waveforms.

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Baird
sound on audio only clips out of sync with waveforms.
on Feb 25, 2016 at 6:30:41 am

PC- MC 8.5 Shot on BMCC using DNxHD175/23.96 audio recorded on Zoom H6 bit depth 24 sample rate 48k (on both the real audio and the guide track)

this is something I have never seen before...

I am having to manually sync sound on a short film. no problem, slates are all good. EXCEPT.

When I look at the camera shots with the 'guide audio' recorded from the on board mic, everything is as expected. I can park the head on the slate and hit play and it sounds exactly as expected.

When I put the audio from the sound guy up and park the play head on the slate and hit play then I can just hear the final ring out of the slate. I have to park the play head in front of the slate hit on the wave form by about 4 or 5 frames in order to hit play and have it sound right. also when Playing back at regular speed, I hear the hit about five frames early.

So when I mark the spot where I hear the slate correctly and auto sync my two clips (using in points as the sync source) my audio is 5 frames late.

When I put the sync mark on the audio track where I SEE the slate hit, then it syncs fine.

I am left to think that MC is playing back the audio on my audio only tracks back 5 frames ahead of the file.

With audio scrub on, the audio plays back exactly in sync with the waveform.

Again, the odd thing is that when playing back the camera clip, the audio is in sync.

I've done a LOT of manual syncing but never seen this before version 8.5

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: sound on audio only clips out of sync with waveforms.
on Feb 25, 2016 at 12:33:10 pm

I reported a similar issue with 8.5 and it seems that there is a waveform drawing error and one of the zoom levels. For me it was when I was zoomed all the way in - for this very purpose, syncing. I believe there are three levels of cache depending on zoom level and one of them is wrong.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]