FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working with 4K footage in 1080p project - unsupported resolution error

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Brother
Working with 4K footage in 1080p project - unsupported resolution error
on Feb 23, 2016 at 5:39:39 pm

Hi all! We're a little late to the party, but finally shooting 4K footage (with a Sony F55). We are shooting for a 1080p project and editing on Media Composer 8.5. Working with the footage keeps producing the following error: "Exception: Unsupported Resolution". The Avid basically freezes and does not let me do anything until I get rid of the sequence. And sometimes even then it keeps popping up.

I've spent a couple hours on the phone with Avid tech support and they don't seem to have a clue. Hopefully somebody here can shed some light on the problem. The idea is to be able to edit in 1080p and have the ability to punch in to the 4K footage without losing quality/resolution.

The 4K has been shot with a Sony F55 as MXF files. If I access the files from the 1080p project, they play just fine, edit fine, frame flex works. All good. But if I try to cut them into a sequence with ANY 1080p footage, I get the error.

If I transcode/consolidate the footage to 1080p, I still get the error.

If I create a 4K project and bring the 1080p footage into that project (as recommended by Avid support)...same error.

Is there something I'm missing? Does anyone have a tried and true workflow for this situation?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan Brother

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Working with 4K footage in 1080p project - unsupported resolution error
on Feb 23, 2016 at 5:59:05 pm

What are you transcoding to?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dan Brother
on Feb 23, 2016 at 6:23:44 pm

Thanks for the response, Shane.

Lots of tests, but in the end I transcoded to Apple ProRes 422 MXF within the 4K project which resulted in a format of 4096X2160/29.97. And then opened that bin in the 1080p project and cut it into a sequence with 1080p and got the error. Kind of expected that.

Then I tried bringing the sequence into the 1080p project and transcoding to DNxHD 145 MXF. It created 1080p clips but still gives me the error.

Wasn't sure what to do with the Raster Dimensions setting...I had it at "Project Dimensions (proxy off) on both of these.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Feb 27, 2016 at 1:52:52 am

I think it's the 29.97 frame rate that's freaking it out. I don't think that's a choice in a 4K project, but maybe I am mistaken.

Return to posts index

Dan Brother
on Feb 23, 2016 at 6:59:13 pm

HI Shane. I appreciate your help. I just got off with Avid support again and this time they tell me it's a known bug in 8.5 and that it's already been fixed...but obviously the patch won't be available until the next realease of 8.5.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 23, 2016 at 8:28:58 pm

Is it a bug with that specific camera? Because I don't see it with this RED footage I just tested...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]