FORUMS: list search recent posts

Merge then Delete Bin Column Names

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ella Currer
Merge then Delete Bin Column Names
on Feb 17, 2016 at 8:07:33 pm

I'm starting a new job at a place where previous Avid users have created at least eight different "Comments" columns for use when logging. Some are all caps, misspelled, plural, singular: COMMENTS, Coments, Comment.... anyway, I want to get all the data in those various Comments columns to merge into one Comments column and then delete the others.

I have hunted around for info on even how to delete an old/misspelled column name but can't even find that. So any help about merging data from multiple columns into one and info about just plain deleting old column headings would be much appreciated

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Merge then Delete Bin Column Names
on Feb 17, 2016 at 10:35:11 pm

I WISH! Nope, all has to be done manually...copy, paste, repeat...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Feb 17, 2016 at 10:48:56 pm

You might be able to export an ALE, open it in Excel, merge the columns there, save it as a text file (tab delimited, I think), then reimport the ALE and merge it with the clips in your bins. It would be worth testing.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Ella Currer
on Feb 17, 2016 at 10:55:49 pm

Thank you for your responses.

How about deleting old column headings completely? Someone here accidentally created the misspelled column name, Coments, and I'd like to delete that so future users don't select it as a heading but I don't see anywhere to manage column headings. You can delete Avid's various Export settings in the Settings tab so I would think it would be something similar but I don't find anywhere to delete those column headings.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 18, 2016 at 2:21:47 am

Good question. You can highlight columns and click "delete" and you will be presented with a "hide or delete" dialog box. Now whether this truly deletes it or not is the issue. You would have to also delete any bin views that contain that column and ensure than any sequences made from those clips are updated which may be the hardest thing.

For future reference, but you seem to already be aware of the limitations:

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=224

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]