Roundtrip to AE from Avid

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jennifer Adams
Roundtrip to AE from Avid
on Feb 7, 2016 at 8:21:07 am
Last Edited By Jennifer Adams on Feb 7, 2016 at 8:41:20 am

Hi everyone,

I want to bring a bunch of sequences that I've finished editing in Avid into After Effects for color correction.
I originally brought these clips into Avid using AMA links, and transcoded them into DNxHD 36, so they're easier to scroll through and work with.
The thing is that now if I want to use AAF to bring the clips to AE, it would link to the transcoded clips and not the original material, I believe.
What's the best way to bring these sequences using the uncompressed original material into AE?

Thanks a lot for any advice!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Roundtrip to AE from Avid
on Feb 7, 2016 at 6:05:06 pm

I don't usually go to AE from Avid, so I'm not sure how AE reads AAFs, but if it is in fact reading a "linked" AAF...the aaf has no media, just links to the media Avid is using, then you would need to do a relink in Avid back to your source shots. Then create your AAF.

Programs like Resolve will allow you to point the program to different media when you load the aaf, allowing you to have offline in one program, but go straight to online in the other program, but I don't know that AE can do this.

Another option would be to relink to full res in avid, and output high quality versions of your shots back into AE. To be honest, I don't think a lot of people are using your workflow..Avid to AE for Color correction. They are either doing color in Avid, or moving over to Resolve.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Jennifer Adams
on Feb 7, 2016 at 6:23:37 pm

Thanks. I also have trouble with relinking though. I'm supposed to AMA link to the original footage again, transcode it in hi-res, and then how do I replace the clips that are already edited on the timeline with the new hi-res ones?
As far as I know it, the relinking dialogue only relinks clips that are offline...

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Feb 7, 2016 at 9:15:33 pm

There are a few ways of doing it. I prefer to point the sequence to the ama links.

Duplicate your sequence, and add "Linked to raw" in the title.

In your timeline settings, at the bottom of the timeline, under the hamburger menu, select colors or clip colors and turn on AMA. This will put all clips that are ama linked in your timeline to purple. Much easier to see your progress this way.

select all of you ama links. Either put them in 1 bin, or multiple bins...doesn't matter, you can select multiple clips from multiple bins for this as well.

Once they are all selected, right click on the sequence "linked to Raw" and select relink.

Click the button labeled - Relink to selected clips in open bins.
from here you might have to play with the relink options...espcecially the source id, source clip name option.
I usually turn off the match extension button, and the other one which I think refers to upper case or something? Make the selections as generic as possible.

Tell it to relink.

In a perfect world, your entire timeline is purple, and you are now using the original ama clips to compose that sequence. In a not so perfect world you may have to play with the relink settings for timecode and source name. Hopefully the media was transcoded to low res in a proper workflow, which will make the relink much easier to do.

BTW, the relink dialogue will allow you to have the box link from low res to high res media as well, but that is a slightly different workflow.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Jennifer Adams
on Feb 8, 2016 at 8:42:27 am

Thanks so much, that really helped!
Have a great day :)

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Feb 8, 2016 at 12:36:01 pm

It's much simpler to "delete" the low rez files in the MXF/1 folder, first. (By delete, I suggest you simply rename the folder so MC can't see them) Then, open a seperate bin with all the needed original resolution files. Finally, when you relink, tick the box that says, "relink to files in open bins".

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Feb 8, 2016 at 8:51:27 pm

Depends if you want to make 175 res of everything, or of just the shots needed in the sequence. If you want 175 of everything, then there really is no need to do the 36 media in the first place.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Feb 10, 2016 at 4:28:20 pm

Automatic Duck?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]