FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to import --- not working

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ross Spears
Trying to import --- not working
on Feb 3, 2016 at 4:37:24 pm

I am working with AVID 4 and trying to import a file that was created by our lab from Super 16 footage. The file was made at 29.97000 frame rate, which seems to match the project type. When we import, the progress line gets all the way to 99 percent and then gives this error message: "Bus Error" in thread "Main Thread," at address .. And when I click OK, the AVID quits! Any ideas about what to do? What kind of file should the lab be making for me? What kind of settings should we use for the import?

They have made a file named Appalachia_CR_118_119_Ed_Wilson_Interview_XDCAM_MPEG2_2997fps.mxf.

Please help!!

Never Give Up

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Trying to import --- not working
on Feb 3, 2016 at 5:57:03 pm

Try AMA linking using the MXF AMA plug-in (select it directly, do not use Autodetect) and see if that works. The fact that is mentioned XDCAM might indicate the wrapper/coded used so if that does not work, you may need to download the Sony XDCM AMA plug-in and try that.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/pdzk-ma2

Michael

Return to posts index

Ross Spears
on Feb 3, 2016 at 6:38:52 pm

Thanks very much. Two questions: Where do I get the AMA plug-in? From AVID?? Where do I get the Sony plug-in? From Sony? Will they still support MC 4?

If that doesn't work, what else can I try? Could the color neg film be transferred to Quicktime movie and I could possibly import that?

Thanks, Ross Spears

Never Give Up

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 3, 2016 at 7:16:51 pm

The MXF plug-in is automatically installed with Media Composer since v7. When you select AMA link or Link to, you have the option to select which plug-in you want to use. Try this one first.

Sony plug-ins must be downloaded from Sony and the XDCAM version was the link I added in my previous post. MP4 is supported, but that is the wrapper and not the codec. Avid does not support XAVC-S, but the name of the file would indicate it's XDCAM, so you're good.

XDCAM is a longGOP compressed format. Usually I see film transfers use ProRes as a codec, but that is something you discuss with your vendor when submitting the job.

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 3, 2016 at 7:49:32 pm

He's running Avid Media Composer 4...does that even HAVE AMA? I think it's too old for that, is it not?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 4, 2016 at 2:09:46 am

Oh - right. I did not even notice that. You're gonna have to transcode in another application like Resolve to make either native OPAtom MXF or other file that is supported for import.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]