FORUMS: list search recent posts

AMA-Linking to already transcoded footage?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Harper
AMA-Linking to already transcoded footage?
on Feb 2, 2016 at 10:49:59 am

Hello all

I'm just in the process of setting up a project and this is the first time that a DIT has been on set of a film I'm involved in, so all the video files have already been transcoded into a workable offline codec. Normally it is me who initially transcodes the files and I have always used the AMA-Linking method in order to re-link the timeline for the online stage of the edit. However, as I've been given the already transcoded files I obviously haven't been able to start off by AMA-Linking to the original video.

If I were to AMA-Link to the original video files now, would the project be able to recognise that the already transcoded files were related (if that's the right word to use) to them? Or is there another method that I can use in order to transcode the timeline into a higher quality once the offline edit is completed?

I hope that's clear enough,

Thanks

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: AMA-Linking to already transcoded footage?
on Feb 2, 2016 at 3:13:18 pm

It should work the same way. You say the DIT didn't use ama originally...what did he do? Resolve? As long as he had it set up correctly, you should still be able to make a bin of AMA links in Avid, and then relink your final timeline to those links, instead of the low res media. If Resolve wasn't set up correctly, and the metadata isn't in tact, then you will have issues.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 2, 2016 at 4:58:05 pm

OK, normally you do this. In this case you aren't. Has your production established a workflow from start to finish yet? Or did they just bring in a DIT and are going to wing it? Has a plan been put in order? Shooting shouldn't start before the entire workflow has been established. Why did they hire a DIT in this case? What was the plan after you locked picture? Send the camera originals and AAF/EDL from Avid to an online house where they will relink in Resolve?

Is the plan for you to relink to the originals in Avid and you do the online? send it to someone else who finishes in Avid? If you were going to finish in the Avid, why have a DIT do the transcodes?

You need a clear idea of what the process is in order for us to provide the proper advice. What's the plan for this film to finish?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Adam Harper
on Feb 2, 2016 at 9:06:23 pm

Sorry for not being very clear. I was brought into the project late as the initial editor dropped out, I would of course normally discuss the Workflow with all involved but it's evident that they didn't here. It's a student film so that might go some way into explaining why it's all a bit chaotic.

After locking the picture I will be sending the original camera files and an AAF for it to be finished in Resolve.

However whilst I appreciate the initial advice, upon closer inspection it would appear that the DIT has not done the job fully and only bothered to transcode 1 day's worth of shooting. So I will have to pretty much transcode everything myself, so at least that's familiar territory...

Of course, a new issue has arisen. I'm now trying to AMA-Link to the R3D files and all that seems to happen when I do so is a new BIN gets created (named after the external hard drive I'm working from) and then nothing appears within the bin. No link, clips, anything. I'm using Media Composer 8.4.0 and I have the RED AMA Plug-In. I've tried;
"Link to media -> Selecting the .RDM folder -> Open"
and
"Link to media -> Selecting all the .RDC folders within the .RDM folder -> Open"
and the result is exactly the same. This is with the "Auto-detect plug-in" where it says "File of Type" in the window.

When I try with the R3D option, it just says "Unable to link to......"

I'm a bit confused as I've not done anything differently to before. However it has been nearly a year since I last worked with RED footage, has there been any changes with the update that I've missed?

Return to posts index

Adam Harper
on Feb 2, 2016 at 9:31:40 pm

EDIT:

It would appear that going into each, individual .RDC folder works for the AMA-Linking. However I would prefer to avoid this tedious method as I know it's possible to not have to do it that way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]