FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid 7 to AE: 1080p offline/ 4k online workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Parke
Avid 7 to AE: 1080p offline/ 4k online workflow
on Jan 29, 2016 at 8:14:05 pm

Hey all!
I came across this post on Reddit when looking for this workflow and /u/drfartbrain had the closest workflow solution I could find but did not work for me:
After Effects supports AAF import from Avid, so relink your shots for VFX to the source RED files via AMA, then export an AAF of video in the sequence. You can set handles to whatever your VFX artist wants, then consolidate the media to a drive. Relinking via AMA is also how you'll uprez the locked sequence and prep for your online edit. Easiest way is to link to the source files via AMA. Select them all in the bin(s), then right click on your locked, flattened sequence. Right click and choose "Relink...," then hit the radio button for "Selected items in ALL open bins." You probably want to check "Create new sequence" at the bottom so you can step back if needed. If it puts two and two together properly, your newly created sequence will be linked to your source media.

Basically I am working at a facility running Avid MC 7.0.4. We are shooting a project next week 4k. The workflow we plan on using is:
  • transcode to 4k ProRes 422 HQ
  • import to 1080p project using ProRes422HQ MXF setting (they don't use AMA here, I've tried)
  • Edit piece and prep to send to GFX.

There will probably be some repo and scaling happening with the footage so obviously getting GFX a sequence AAF that links back to the 4k ProRes422HQ files is ideal and the workflow I've been tasked on creating, but I just can't seem to find the most efficient and effective way to do it.
So far, I have gotten a 1080p AAF into AE and it worked perfectly, but that's not what I wanted.
I also did a test edit with AMA clips (although avid wouldn't play them back for me -- I think it's because 7 doesn't support 4k) but I was able to open the AAF in AE and link back to 4k media.
I just haven't found the right solution to getting a 1080p offline edit in Avid to an AAF that relinks to the 4k media in AE. Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!

David Parke
Editor
http://www.dparke.com

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Avid 7 to AE: 1080p offline/ 4k online workflow
on Feb 1, 2016 at 3:16:47 pm

I think you've hit the nail on the head. You may need to jump up to Media Composer 8.5.

If you are trying to transcode media for After Effects, in 4k, from a product that doesn't support 4k, I'm not sure how that could work.

You might want to look into Resolve to create the media as well. Just make sure your reel id radio button is set correctly in the preferences tab, so the proper metadata stays with the media.

Glenn

Return to posts index

David Parke
on Feb 1, 2016 at 6:33:42 pm

Thanks. I'll be exploring this today. I was able to patch something together to make this work in that I got them to break and let me use AMA, AMA'd in the 4k clips, transcoded to PR422HQ in Avid, cut a sequence from the PR422HQ files, relinked to AMA, exported an AAF, Pro Imported to After Effects and was JUST ABOUT there. My comp size was wrong, my pixel aspect ratio was off, and something else I can't remember right now but overall I technically got it working.

I am going to install 8 onto a second partition and test the workflow that way to see how that goes. I wonder if their shared storage can handle DNxHR files? We shall see and I'll report back.

Thanks!

David Parke
Editor

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Feb 1, 2016 at 11:55:58 pm

Why not use REDCINE and export AAF from there?
This way you have a connection with the RED files.
Now your on an old version so I cant honestly vouch it works.

Return to posts index

David Parke
on Feb 1, 2016 at 11:57:21 pm

It's Sony f55 footage, not RED. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

David Parke
Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]