FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon C300 AVID MC8 and AMA - plugins won't install

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olaf Steel
Canon C300 AVID MC8 and AMA - plugins won't install
on Jan 26, 2016 at 11:48:40 pm

Hi everyone - I know there are many posts about this issue, but so far I have not gotten to the bottom of it.
The issue is that I can't AMA link to Canon C300 footage. The footage folder structure is correct and on an external drive. When I try to AMA link I get the following message in Avid: "Unable to link to any clips at /Volumes/xxxxxx"

I have downloaded the 2 necessary things from Canon - the XF utility and the AMA plugin for Avid. When I double click on the installer, an Extracting Files box pops up with a status bar. The bar gets to 100% and the box disappears, and no installer pops up. I've checked in my plugin folders and nothing was installed.
So what's going on here? I've tried repairing disk permissions and adding a new admin user to the computer and installing the plugins there, and nothing has worked. This is getting beyond frustrating. Does anyone have any solutions? I have also uninstalled and reinstalled Avid.
I saw someone posted a zip file containing the Canon XF utility and the plugin for FCP. Can anyone do the same for Avid?

This is my setup: Avid Media Composer 8.4 , OSX 10.8.5.

Thanks in advance for any help. Things are getting desperate over here!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Canon C300 AVID MC8 and AMA - plugins won't install
on Jan 27, 2016 at 12:04:22 am

Here

https://www.avid.com/US/products/avid-media-access

Install ALL the AMA plugins. C300 needs more than a couple...It might need the Canon XF one and the generic MXF one...but I install all just to be sure. I had this issue before, only with those two, and it didn't work. I installed all, and it worked.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Olaf Steel
on Jan 27, 2016 at 12:56:02 am

Thanks for the response, Shane.
I already have all the compatible plugins installed - see the full list below. The Canon ones are the only ones that won't install. I've done this before on another computer and it all worked fine. Not sure why it won't work in this instance. I no longer have access to the previous computer.

I can AMA link to the individual MXF files if I dig into the footage folders, but to do that for each individual shot when there are 1000s would take me longer than it would to edit the damn thing, so that's not going to work - and also a lot of the clips are spanned, so that adds even more work. There HAS to be a way to get the AMA linking to work for the full volume.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 27, 2016 at 1:59:01 am

That makes me wonder if the card structure is fully intact...if some small folder is missing, or out of place.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Olaf Steel
on Jan 27, 2016 at 2:19:58 am

The folder structure should be fine - it was copied directly from the CF card.
In Avid I'm selecting the folder above the CONTENTS folder as usual when I try to AMA link.
The mxf plugin that installs with Avid is AMA linking to the individual mxf files when I drill down through the card's folders, but the plugins from Canon are not installing so I can't AMA link to the whole card at once.
Hope that makes sense! And thanks for your continued help.

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Jan 27, 2016 at 10:49:45 am

In the past I have resolved the issue by not having the CONTENTS folder "buried too deep". The folder above the CONTENTS folder, for me, needed to be closer to the root of the drive. Also there can be some naming convention of folders above the CONTENTS folder that causes this error.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Jan 27, 2016 at 2:46:16 pm

Olaf!

I'm emailing you off-list with the AMA plugin and instructions on where to put it…

Return to posts index

Shaun Broude
on Jun 6, 2016 at 3:10:03 am

Hi Mark

Please can you send me the same information. Also really struggling and would appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Jun 6, 2016 at 7:09:06 am

I uploaded the plugin here - hopefully it works.

10154_mvpcanonxf64.avx.zip

this is the actual AMA plugin which gets installed from the Canon XF AMA installer. My assumption (after my convo with Olaf) is that the installer won't work on older Mac OS. This file, which is from the installer, is all you need.

Unzip this and drop the file into this folder:

Macintosh HD / Library / Application Support / Avid / AVX2_Plug-ins / AMA

Relaunch Avid and then try linking the C300 stuff…

Return to posts index

Shaun Broude
on Jun 6, 2016 at 2:10:11 pm

Thanks Mark for your response. I am running OS 10.9.5 so not sure if it will work,but will try.

Return to posts index

Shaun Broude
on Jun 6, 2016 at 2:27:58 pm

Hey Mark

So just tried installing it and no luck. Is there any other solution for running on Mavericks and using this plugin?

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Jun 6, 2016 at 4:42:30 pm

What exactly is the problem you're having? I have no issue on Mavericks with this plugin.

Return to posts index

Shaun Broude
on Jun 6, 2016 at 4:56:25 pm

Hey Mark

I installed the plugin,but still can't link to the Canon c300 MKii. Neither the root folders nor the individual Mxfs. I see the plugin also doesn't show up in the AMA drop-down list after I've installed it. I've tries auto detect and individual plugins like the XDcam ones,but none work and some keep crashing my machine when i try connect to the individual mxfs.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Jun 6, 2016 at 5:24:20 pm

It may be that for C300 MKII, you need the latest AMA plugin. For that, you'll have to get the latest installer. I suggest heading here:
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/c...

Return to posts index

Shaun Broude
on Jun 6, 2016 at 7:16:31 pm

Thanks so much Mark.
I just hope it works with MC8.3. I tried downloading the latest Canon software from the site before and i needed to be running 8.4 or higher.

Return to posts index

Shaun Broude
on Jun 7, 2016 at 12:17:22 am

Hey Mark

As suspected the plugin is for mc8.5. Does this mean I can't ama link to the c300 mkii unless I'm running mc8.5?

Thanks again for your help.

Shaun

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Jun 7, 2016 at 2:54:04 am

Honestly I do not know. The C300 Mk II is relatively new, so perhaps it's only supported in the newest AMA plugin release. Olaf's original issue was with C300 Mk I footage, which has been supported for quite a while. I would try a trial install of MC and this new AMA plugin and see how you go.

Return to posts index

Shaun Broude
on Jun 7, 2016 at 3:06:05 am

Good idea, will do.
Thanks again Mark.

Return to posts index

Olaf Steel
on Jun 7, 2016 at 4:43:27 pm

Shaun,

I found this XF plugin on the Canon Japan website. It's worked for me on Avid MC 8.4. It might also work on 8.3 - give it a go.
Hope this link works: 10168_xpmm300a89l.dmg.zip

Return to posts index

Shaun Broude
on Jun 7, 2016 at 5:09:19 pm

Will do! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jun 8, 2016 at 6:51:14 pm

The other issue i have had with C300 was resolve by futzing with the index.mif file

I hadn't done a lot with C300 for a while, and then started on a project in January that was from a 20 day shoot, with all A and B cameras coming from C300. Every now and then i would get a folder that wouldn't AMA link, but the individual files would.

All folder structures came to me on a hard drive, and appeared to be intact, with one exception.

I started noticing the index.mif file was not always in the same spot. Most of the time it was inside the contents folder, sitting with all the other folders that contained the individual clips. On one of the folders that didn't work, the index file was not there, but i did find one inside the structure. ( i think it was actually up one level) I copied it into the contents folder, and the system was happy again. If memory serves, i had to apply this "fix" to about 5 folders.

Obviously, i would screw around with it unless i was working from a copy of the originals.

I have no idea how that file could get created in the wrong spot, but it did happen a few times. I do know the camera op used mulitple cards in his camera, and often the footage would span cards (which is another pain in the butt all of its own) but that might have something to do with it.

Glenn

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]