FORUMS: list search recent posts

Realistic time frame to learn Avid?/Relevance in beginning entry level in NYC?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Harrison
Realistic time frame to learn Avid?/Relevance in beginning entry level in NYC?
on Jan 26, 2016 at 2:54:39 pm

Forgive me for asking to clarify such basic knowledge.

I've edited several no-budget projects, but only on Premiere. I'm planning on learning Avid using a free trial and most likely Lynda courses, since most of the assistant editor jobs I've looked at require those skills. I also work part-time (not industry related, just for money,) right now, about 22 hours a week, to factor into a time frame.

After that, is an assistant editor job realistic for entry level? My friend in LA said that being a post production assistant would usually come first, but I can't find many job postings with that specific job title, in New York. I don't know if the industries on the East coast involving smaller commercial post companies instead of things like reality TV (which my friend generally seems to have started with) in LA are a factor in that.

I know it's probably not in the near enough future to think about until I've completed the first step, but after obtaining the skills necessary, how long does the job search usually take?

I may be completely missing some points, but this is based on the current information I have, which is why I'm asking. Let me know if I'm completely missing the mark on what I should be doing.

If I'm posting to the wrong forum category, please also let me know. I had trouble knowing which one would be appropriate.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
Re: Realistic time frame to learn Avid?/Relevance in beginning entry level in NYC?
on Jan 27, 2016 at 12:47:11 pm

Like anything, becoming proficient enough at Avid to be paid to work with it, is a matter of practice. The fastest way to get that practice is to use it every day, ideally with an instructor to answer questions. In this mode, you could learn Avid in a week's time, possibly less. Working on your own, and working all the available tutorials online will take a bit longer.

Having said all of that, after 10 years of using Avid, I'm still learning it, every time I use it. There's so much to the application, tricks, nuances; and they change every time a new version is released.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]