FORUMS: list search recent posts

Alert Message: "Segmentation Fault" in thread "Main Thread", at address 0x0.

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vasja Mihelcic
Alert Message: "Segmentation Fault" in thread "Main Thread", at address 0x0.
on Jan 25, 2016 at 11:05:31 pm

Hallo
Maybe someone can reduce me the time of looking for similar problem...
I have a 72 min documentary to edit and on the 5 min. of editing avid crashes and does not want to load the project. Alert Message: "Segmentation Fault" in thread "Main Thread", at address 0x0.
I work on Macbook pro 15" mid 2015,OS El Capitan, MC7. I had no problem of this kind before.
How can I get in to the project and what to do to get rid of this error?

thx

Vasja

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Alert Message: "Segmentation Fault" in thread "Main Thread", at address 0x0.
on Jan 25, 2016 at 11:45:37 pm

[Vasja Mihelcic] "OS El Capitan, MC7"

Media Composer 7 isn't rated to work on El Capitan. In fact, NO version of media composer is "blessed" to work on El Capitan. MC 8.4 might be the better one to try on it, but MC 7...not even sure that's rated to work on Yosemite. What specific version of MC 7?

According to the Version Matrix, MC7 works best under 10.7 and 10.8. For 10.9, you need 7.0.4.2. But yeah, many versions don't even work on Yosemite.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/servlet/fileField?retURL=%2Fpkb%2Farticles%2Fen_U...

Running Avid on a non-supported OS is always troublesome.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Vasja Mihelcic
Re: Alert Message: "Segmentation Fault" in thread "Main Thread", at address 0x0.
on Jan 26, 2016 at 12:46:30 am

I have MC 7.0.5 It worked good till today...no problem for two to three months.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 26, 2016 at 12:56:15 am

[Vasja Mihelcic] "I have MC 7.0.5"

Really? I don't see that listed on the Avid Version Matrix, but I do see that listed in the download center. I wonder what version it works best under?

[Vasja Mihelcic] " It worked good till today...no problem for two to three months."

That doesn't mean that things won't spring up. There isn't a version of Media Composer that cleared to work with that OS. BUT, that being said...try uninstalling and reinstalling the app. Deauthorize before you uninstall and re-authorize after you reinstall.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Vasja Mihelcic
on Jan 26, 2016 at 9:58:42 am

nothing is like it used to be...:(

Return to posts index

Vasja Mihelcic
on Jan 26, 2016 at 4:29:41 pm

Reinstalling didn‘t help. But I noticed that just before loading the project and bins it crashed when it came to audio bin...I relocated audio files he was referring to so he could not connect and it works. Some problem with the bins and audio. Maybe corrupted audio...

Return to posts index

Nick Mars
on Feb 25, 2016 at 7:19:55 pm

Vasja,

Had a very similar problem on my 2012 Macbook Pro running MC7, it was crashing at "audio plugins" for me. I went through and found some audio plugins (compressors, etc) that I had copied across multiple drives hooked up to the computer for extra crash insurance. Deleting one copy of those with multiples (of these plugins) seemed to help it clear up. I also went back and double checked that any old Avid projects all had inactive filenames for Mediafiles etc, and trashed any user settings I found (a duplicate was snuck into one of my old projects. So in general maybe just do a little spring cleaning and see what you can find. Mine has cleared up, but I'm not totally sure why.

As a (very) interim solution, I could usually get Avid to startup if I did a computer restart then opened Avid as soon as I was back up and running. Very odd.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.

Nick

Setup: Macbook Pro Retina (Mid 2012), 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M Graphics Card. Dual 4TB mirrored external HDs, Apple Thunderbolt Display, Dell U2713H Display, Yamaha HS5 Studio Monitors through a Scarlett Focusrite 616, Wacom Intuos Tablet and a Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard

Return to posts index

Vasja Mihelcic
on Feb 29, 2016 at 3:35:19 pm

Hello Nick,

I did all of above you mentioned and for now all o.k. But I have found that some still photos jpg can cause the problem to appear to. All the audio is now new. It is as you said audio glitch if I may refer to the gamers slang. It is not to underestimate the problem. So hope all worked out good for you and I suggest others to go step by step as you described if the problem appears.

Good day

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jan 27, 2016 at 7:22:53 pm

[Vasja Mihelcic] "I have MC 7.0.5 It worked good till today...no problem for two to three months."

Oh that's common in Avid for me as well.
Every so often I would be deep into a project with no issues then the next day, the segmentation error pops up and basically have to do one of the following:
re-installing/upgrading/reformatting (worse scenario)

So yea I feel for yaa

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]