FORUMS: list search recent posts

ESATA Drive To Edit XAVC Format

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alvin Lowery
ESATA Drive To Edit XAVC Format
on Jan 20, 2016 at 4:49:05 pm

Anyone using an ESATA drive to edit XAVC format from Sony FS5 or Sony FS7?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: ESATA Drive To Edit XAVC Format
on Jan 20, 2016 at 6:37:40 pm

Don't edit that format natively. AMA Link to it, but best to transcode. Avid doesn't do well editing natively with some formats, and XAVC is one of them. But yes, that drive will be fine for editing if you transcode to DNxHD.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Jan 21, 2016 at 2:34:26 am

Shane, in the past I'd agree with you about AMA, but v8 of MC finally seems to be able to handle AMA acceptably for longer form cutting with some codecs. I've done 2 half hour episodes now with 1080p XAVC from an FS7 via AMA linking and it worked very well. We even had some 4K shots in the show too. People have told me that AMA linked pro-res also works well. (I would never have attempted this in MC 7, fwiw)

With AMA linking, I imagine processor speed is a factor as much as hard drives. We are on an HP z820, so it's a pretty new machine. I haven't tried e-sata though for drives. Thunderbolt here (and in limited testing, USB3 even worked fine)

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jan 21, 2016 at 1:34:50 pm

USB 3 is faster than Esata. Stay away from USB 2. Processor speed and perhaps RAM are more important for this, anyway.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 21, 2016 at 1:38:34 pm

Editing with AMA linking is dependent on the codec. If the codec is considered native, then the experience will be much better. Which one's are native? The list of "native" codecs are listed in the transcode window. H.264 is the one that does not count as the Avid streaming codec seems to be unique to Avid's creations of that codec and not possible in other third party applications (that I have yet to find).

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]