FORUMS: list search recent posts

"sharpening" SD content

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alberto ferrigno
"sharpening" SD content
on Jan 17, 2016 at 2:55:11 am

I have some sd footage i would like to "sharpen", what would be the best tool out there to do it? Am working with MC6.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: "sharpening" SD content
on Jan 17, 2016 at 4:55:16 am

Well, how does the footage look like in SD? Is it soft there? Upconverting footage is best done via hardware...tape to tape transfer via Terranex, or upconvert captured via Terranex, or AJA Kona hardware. Even then, it's not going to look as sharp as HD. And if it's soft to begin with, there's not much that can be done. Sharpening filters (not sure who has those, nothing built in Avid has those, I'll have to look at Sapphire on Monday) might not improve things, only make the SD soft artifacts harder edged, and more pronounced.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

alberto ferrigno
on Jan 17, 2016 at 10:27:32 am

Hi Shane, thanks for your response, you can watch this footage in my Youtube account, i think there is room for improvement.

https://www.youtube.com/user/nature1upclose

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 17, 2016 at 8:41:10 pm

It looks pretty darn good. Compared with the SD footage I've had to deal with on historic docs I work on. You can't IMPROVE the image...only work on make the degradation of it less. Blowing it up will make the artifacts bigger, and most times the solution is to introduce a slight blur to hide them...not sharpen to bring them out.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 17, 2016 at 11:30:09 pm

You might want to play with the paint effect and use the unsharp filter to see if anything looks better or not. Here is a basic overview of using unsharp on Photoshop:
http://content.photojojo.com/tutorials/photoshop-sharpening/

Michael

Return to posts index

alberto ferrigno
on Jan 18, 2016 at 8:19:47 pm

Am considering the unsharp filter but which program integrates better with avid, Boris, AE, something else?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 18, 2016 at 10:50:00 pm

As I mentioned in previous post, you can start by using the one that comes with Avid via the Paint Effect to see if gives you anything pleasing. After Effects is usually a QT roundtrip workflow, Boris is integrated as an AVX effect if you have that available.

Michael

Return to posts index

alberto ferrigno
on Jan 19, 2016 at 4:32:06 pm

Thank you, i just found that effect, move the parameters but nothing happens, i also found the bcc filters in the avid fx effect editor, when i apply the unsharp mask effect the image looks verry pixelated, it is so strange, nothing works as i have seen in the tutorials, i donĀ“t know what am doing wrong.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]