FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting HD to SD Using Avid?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Louis Waters
Converting HD to SD Using Avid?
on Jan 13, 2016 at 7:54:15 pm

Hi, is there an effect or process to change HD 16:9 footage to SD 4:3 using Avid?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Converting HD to SD Using Avid?
on Jan 13, 2016 at 8:26:03 pm

Convert the clips? Or just use HD clips in an SD project? Converting? Avid's not really designed as a converter. But if you want to edit them in an SD project, simply capture/import them into an HD project, and then bring the bin into an SD project, and drop them into the timeline.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Louis Waters
on Jan 13, 2016 at 8:54:25 pm

Yes I think that's what I want to do. Would that change the aspect ratio at all, i.e make them look squashed? If so how would I change this?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 13, 2016 at 8:55:57 pm

It's been a while since I've had to do this, but I think it does affect the aspect ratio. But that's an easy fix, Avid had an effects area called REFORMAT, just slap one of those on the clips, and reposition to where you want the focus to be, and move on.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 13, 2016 at 9:39:28 pm

I assume you are wanting 4:3 center cut from a 16:9 source? Or do you want SD 16:9 full height anamorphic? If you make a 4:3 SD project you can set your sources to be center cut using the reformat column as Shane suggested (or use source settings on all clips and FrameFlex on source). If you want 16:9 FHA, then you make an SD 16:9 project and select "stretch" as the reformat.

Michael

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Jan 15, 2016 at 4:10:20 pm

We just had the Ad Agency request our HD video to be SD Letterboxed. We were in 1080p 29.97. Can't we simply change the project type to 720x486 NTSC and copy sequence and do a video mixdown and export? Main question is do we need a totally separate project or can we simplt change the project type within the same project?

Ricky

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 15, 2016 at 4:28:23 pm

Sure -that should work - it was unclear at first that the deliverable was 16:9 letterbox versus a center cut. You could also make the SD letterbox in a third party encoding application like Squeeze, Adobe Media Encoder, MPEG Streamclip, etc.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]