FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects to Avid workflow issue DNxHD MXF without AAF

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexi Vanderstraeten
After Effects to Avid workflow issue DNxHD MXF without AAF
on Jan 6, 2016 at 7:53:03 am

Hi!

Got a bit of an issue with a workflow from Avid to After Effects and again.
I got all figure it out until the moment I need to bring it back into Avid.
After Effects send the rendering to Adobe Media Encoder to render it into a MXF files but it doesn't create an AAF file, just the MXF and a XMP.
When I try to copy the MXF files into the Avid Media Folder, avid gives me the quarantine error message when it opens as it doesn't recognize it as a valid media file. No use looking at the Media Tool, it's empty.
I've tried all I could think of to import that file and it always gives an error saying that it's not a valid media file.

So my question is, what's the setting I should use in Media Encoder to render into a MXF that will be recognize by Avid? And even better, is there a way to create an AAF file with it?

Return to posts index

Alexi Vanderstraeten
Re: After Effects to Avid workflow issue DNxHD MXF without AAF
on Jan 6, 2016 at 8:09:02 am

Here are the settings I used in Adobe Media Encoder.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 6, 2016 at 1:53:10 pm

The settings are correct, but there are multiple flavors of MXF file. Adobe only creates MXF OP1a as can be seen in your screenshot. Native Avid MC files are MXF OPAtom only. the "1" means that video and audio are combined into a single file (where there is actual audio or not).

What you have will work. You need to AMA link to the MXF file(s) using the MXF AMA plug-in. Select it directly, do not use Autodetect. The link is instantaneous. Once linked, consolidate. This also avoids the gamma issues that QuickTime wrappers like to inject into the process from time to time.

Michael

Return to posts index

Alexi Vanderstraeten
on Jan 6, 2016 at 11:13:23 pm

I thought I understood what you were saying and couldn't make it work but then when I found out what I though was another solution, it turned out to be yours.
Let me explain a bit better, in the last version of Avid, AMA plugin is installed by default but there's not AMA import option available anymore. They change the name of the option to put everything under the option Link to Media.
I used that option in the first place but it never worked because I always use the automatic option. I never assumed Avid would not recognize a XMF file.
So, as you said, by selecting directly MXF from the Link to Media menu and import my footage, it worked!
Thanks for that!

Now I have another issue about the quality of the export form After Effect that I will post later in another section but will copy a link of it here as it's link to the same workflow.

Return to posts index

Phil Lowe
on Jan 6, 2016 at 1:36:44 pm

Why not just export using one of the codecs in After Effects and skip the Encoder step? Exporting to a native Avid DNxHD codec out of AE will import very quickly in Avid, and the MXF file(s) that's generated on import will go where it's supposed to.

Here's a partial list of the codecs AE can output.

Instead of sending to Encoder, choose Add to Render Que and select QT Movie. Choose the rendering codec there.

Canon XF-300, Canon 5DMkIII, Canon 7D MkII, Avid Media Composer 7.05, Adobe CC 2015, iMovie Pro.

Return to posts index

Alexi Vanderstraeten
on Jan 6, 2016 at 11:14:20 pm

The option to export directly do DNxHD from After Effects is not present on my After Effects. I can export to Quicktime with DNxhd codec but not directly into DNxhd MXF, no idea why. Found out several persons had that issue and used Adobe Media Encoder to do it.
Using the MXF instead of Automatic in Avid Link to Media did the trick.
Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]