FORUMS: list search recent posts

[BLOG] Need More Storage Than What DNxHD 36 Offers?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Phillips
[BLOG] Need More Storage Than What DNxHD 36 Offers?
on Dec 28, 2015 at 7:02:16 pm

Last blog of the year - a look at using DNxHR to create smaller than HD proxies for those looking to maximize storage to slower drives...

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=270

Michael

Return to posts index

Greg Cohan
Re: [BLOG] Need More Storage Than What DNxHD 36 Offers?
on Dec 29, 2015 at 9:58:40 pm

Interesting comparison. Thanks. Couple questions

When DNxHR first came out it was not available in a 1080 project. Has that changed with 8.4? Or are you Consolidating/Transcoding from a UHD project?

Consider adding 14:1 to your comparison. On large series we are stuck in this resolution for offline because DNX36 is way to demanding on space and bandwidth still for a traditional offline/online scenerio.

The Idea of going to a DNxHR proxy format immediately struck me because at 14:1 single field in 23.98 there are still some NTSC 29.97 shenanigans going from offline to online conform.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 29, 2015 at 11:23:34 pm

Thanks for the feedback - I will add to it based on your feedback. 14:1 is basically 1/3rd the storage needs/data rare of DNxHD 36.

Michael

Return to posts index

Greg Cohan
on Jan 27, 2016 at 8:25:00 pm

For what it's worth I just did an upgrade to 8.4.5 and now get DNxHR codecs in 1080p.

I did a very quick comparison.
1080p transcoded to offline in DNXHR proxy codecs vs 14:1

DNX HR LB at 1/4 is nearly exactly the same physical file size as 14:1 and looks nearly identical in quality.

Not ready to throw a 16 1 hour series at it with 20 editors but... still interesting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]