FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Managing.....

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Davison
Media Managing.....
on Dec 14, 2015 at 1:04:35 pm

OK so here's my problem.

Im working on a PC MC. Its part of an EVO share. I'm working on a project that has been digitised from a variety of other projects from a variety of different workstations.

I want to take the media from the project Im working on and copy it onto an external drive to take home.

In other words and in FCP7 speak, Media Manage.

From what I can tell both MDV and Media Copy use the project the media was digitised in to do a move which is no use to me as its come from 12 different projects.

There must be some way of taking all the media files your project is pointing to and moving...

Consolidate won't work as I need to move back and forth from home to here so I need to copy at Media file level.

Any ideas?

Life on the Bleedin' Cutting Edge....

http://www.twotallmen.co.uk

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Media Managing.....
on Dec 14, 2015 at 1:49:19 pm

One thing to try is put all the media you want to "manage" into a timeline, unless the media with your existing sequences is all you want to bring bring. Select the sequence(s) and go to AAF export. I am not in front of MC at the moment, but one of the settings in the export dialogue box is the ability to copy (not consolidate" media to a target drive/folder. Once that is complete, just bring the project and associated bins with you as well.

Michael

Return to posts index

Sean Davison
on Dec 14, 2015 at 1:58:48 pm

Thanks for that but the project I'm working with has over 80 hours of footage that I need to take all lovingly arranged into bins and subclips.

I need to have my project structure too

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 14, 2015 at 2:01:46 pm

As I mentioned, once copied, just bring over the project and bins.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 14, 2015 at 2:02:53 pm

And depending on what percentage of the media needs to go, why not just duplicate all the media drives and avoid the hassle?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 14, 2015 at 2:18:19 pm

Not knowing the resolution that these clips were captured at - but all 80 hours of DNxHD 36 will fit quite comfortably on a 1.5TB drive.

Michael

Return to posts index

Sean Davison
on Dec 14, 2015 at 2:48:17 pm

Its a 12 part series - about 30 hrs per show spread all over the Isis and its impossible to separate media files out..

Its incredible that Avid doesn't have this built in....after 20 years!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 14, 2015 at 3:22:12 pm

Sure it can certainly be made easier, but the "copy AAF" is one means to do that - especially in your case where different projects are associated with the media.

1. Highlight all sequences
2. Export AAF Link To and "copy media" to target folder
3. Ignore exported AAFs, just grab the media
4. Copy project and bins to bring with media
5. Attach drive and copy project with bins to wherever you like and start editing.

Michael

Return to posts index

Sean Davison
on Dec 14, 2015 at 5:57:38 pm

Thanks for this.

This will copy everything associated with sequences, but what about the stuff that hasn't been cut yet? And will anything I do in this project link back to the media in the Isis?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 14, 2015 at 8:22:58 pm

I selected master clips and did the same process and it copies those as well. So you can do both sequences and master clips. I did find some issues with audio tracks from the sources not coming over, but need to do more testing.

As far as the return, just bring back a bin of what is new, just the sequences most likely and they relink right back up.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 14, 2015 at 10:33:06 pm

User error on my part. After getting the audio export to match my video export, all media related to either master clips and sequences copied over just fine.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]