FORUMS: list search recent posts

AAF Importing In Resolve

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nikhil Nath
AAF Importing In Resolve
on Dec 10, 2015 at 11:59:22 am

Hello Good People,

I have a new project to color correct in Davinci Resolve. Most of the scenes are shot with Blakmagic design 4K camera at 24 fps but some scenes are shot with Canon 5D Mark III in 23.978. Editor told me he had converted some footages to 24fps to edit in media composer. He gave me an AAf but while I import the AAF, resolve says it can't find some clips in the directory. I can manually find those clips and do "Force Conform with selected media pool clip". But its not syncing properly. How do I open this AAF in Resolve with Native camera files linked?

I usually work in Scott's method to successfully roundtrip but now my editor hasn't duplicated the tape name or start time code. So i guess his method of round trip won't work. I am not familiar with any other round trip. Can someone help?

I have AVID 8.3 and Resolve 12

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: AAF Importing In Resolve
on Dec 10, 2015 at 4:34:12 pm

Assuming it is the converted 23.976->24.000 clips that are conforming, how did the editor do the conversion?

Michael

Return to posts index

Nikhil Nath
on Dec 10, 2015 at 4:43:10 pm

No, actually the original 24fps blackmagic cameras shots are getting relinked. he said he used MPEG Streamclip to convert frame rate.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 10, 2015 at 6:36:49 pm

So I think we are saying the same thing - the original 24.000 Blackmagic shots are conforming, but the 23.976 GoPro stuff is not. Then the GoPro 23.976 material was frame rate converted using MPEG Streamclip which sort of surprises me I guess as I do not think it does a frame for frame pullup type frame rate conversion meaning it will have blended or dropped frames every 1000 frames (00:00:42:16). I'm also going to assume that the original GoPro had not timecode in it (or started at 00:00:00:00) as I think MPEG Streamclip does not support timecode it its encoding which may point to the issue as well.

Michael

Return to posts index

Nikhil Nath
on Dec 12, 2015 at 6:48:49 am

Yes. Idk why he used MPEG Streamclip to convert frame rate. What I'm thinking about doing is AMA link the original 23.976 footages and replace the edits made with converted 24 FPS 5D footages.

I have few doubts.
1) Since its dialogs are taken with 24 fps shots, would it sync if I replace it with 23.976 shots? If not how would I fix it?
2) Would it conform if I send the timeline to Resolve?
3) If I get everything conformed, how would I send it back to MC?
I know only Scott's method. I'm not an expert. Can you please suggest me a way? That will be really helpful.

Return to posts index

Nikhil Nath
on Dec 12, 2015 at 10:10:03 am
Last Edited By Nikhil Nath on Dec 12, 2015 at 12:02:47 pm

I have an issue now, when I try to AMA link the clip, AVID says invalid name. I can't import or AMA link any clip from that folder. Its very confusing. Why can't I AMA link or import it?

I tried to batch import the shots and convert it to 24 fps. but it fails and the log says.

Skipped -- The movie has temporal compression D30A7757.MOV
Conform D30A7758.MOV 4:51:43 pm
Skipped -- The movie has temporal compression D30A7758.MOV
Conform D30A7759.MOV 4:51:43 pm
Skipped -- The movie has temporal compression D30A7759.MOV
Conform D30A7760.MOV 4:51:43 pm
Skipped -- The movie has temporal compression D30A7760.MOV
Conform D30A7761.MOV 4:51:43 pm

Is temporal compression an issue?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 12, 2015 at 1:48:51 pm

You should be AMA linking, and not importing - but that does not mean the issue goes away but worth trying. I don't know how much of this footage you have, but I would consider making new sources as was the attempt with MPEG Streamclip. In Media Composer - if you are on v8.3 or later:

1. AMA link to 23.976 source in your 24.000 project type
2. Right click on all selected clips and choose "source settings"
3. On frame rate tab, select project rate (which should indicate 24.000)
4. Click OK and back in bin do a transcode to a high enough quality you would use in final finish - at least DNxHD 115 or consider 175 or 175x.
5. This will now create frame for frame speed up for best quality and will now be true 24.000 clips.

The next steps depend on how you will work with Resolve for final finish - you can color correct the DNxHD media directly or you might want to create a new source by exporting the newly created master clips and bringing them back again treating these as though there were the camera masters.

For that I have been use MXF OPAtom 1a from the AMA export as I prefer the MXF wrapper to QuickTime .mov which has the chance of messing with gamma and such depending on application. MXFOPAtom 1a works great with Resolve, Premiere, and other applications.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 12, 2015 at 2:07:18 pm

As far as not linking, are there any special characters in the folder/file names? I have to admit to not having a whole lot of GoPro footage to test with, so I'm making assumptions. If it were possible for you to share a small sample, I could take a look at it. Send to michael[at]24p[dot]com via WeTransfer/dropbox or similar services.

Michael

Return to posts index

Nikhil Nath
on Dec 13, 2015 at 12:55:33 pm

Thank you so much. You're a life saver. Yes there were special characters and I changed it. Now I can AMA link and transcode. But It's giving me a warning when I transcode, I guess its the way AVID alerts the technician and ask for permission. Let me rebuilt the 5D edits and see if its getting conformed in Resolve.

I'm sending you one shot which is used in the movie. Please see it. Thanks a lot. [:

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 13, 2015 at 2:03:39 pm

Just as an FYI, the sample file you sent me, when opened with MediaInfo shows a frame rate of 25.000. In doing the above steps to convert to 24.000, the steps are the same but it will be a 4% slow down versus a .1% speed up when doing frame for frame conversions. I will send you back a DNxHD 145 MXF OPatom 1a to give you an idea of that looks like for your workflow.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]