FORUMS: list search recent posts

Every single audio track goes onto timeline by default

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Leonard
Every single audio track goes onto timeline by default
on Dec 4, 2015 at 4:35:53 pm

I'm using Avid MC 6.0.1.1. We just recently switched to a new camera that records eight channels of audio. Problem is, whenever I start working with a new clip in the Source monitor, by default it immediately lights up eight source monitor buttons (I guess that's what they're called?) on the left side of the timeline where eight new audio tracks would go. Unless I turn them off one by one for every new clip I select, it will drop eight new audio clips onto the timeline as soon as I hit the Overwrite button. I have yet to use more than two tracks of audio from that camera. How do I make two tracks be the default? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Every single audio track goes onto timeline by default
on Dec 4, 2015 at 7:08:41 pm

It's been a long time request of mine to have source monitor have sticky active tracks regardless of when a clip gets loaded as an option.

That being said, it sounds like you are using XDCAM or something similar? See my blog:

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=50

Michael

Return to posts index

Adam Leonard
on Dec 4, 2015 at 9:36:31 pm

One of the file folders is labeled "XDROOT," so it must be something like XDCAM. (Shooting is done by someone else who's out today, so I don't know all the details of this new camera).

That seems to have done the trick, although I had to relink the files by right-clicking them highlighted in the bin and selecting "Link to AMA files" instead of clicking "Relink" like the PDF in your blog said.

So anyway, this does work, but it would mean I have to do it again for every new batch of video. Are there any other methods?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 4, 2015 at 9:45:38 pm

The only other methods take more time:

1. Load each clip into the source monitor, activate clips you want to keep and make a subclip back to the bin.
2. Highlight clips in bin and export an ALE, edit ALE Tracks column to only have tracks you want to keep, then merge ALE back into master clips creating subclips as a batch process. See related blog: http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=200

Another long time request is to have additional AMA linking options to select desired tracks to retain when linking. Other than the above, that's all you got for solutions unless someone else has an idea I have not heard about yet.

I will update blog per your findings, thanks.

Michael

Return to posts index

William Busby
on Dec 6, 2015 at 7:54:05 am

Not that this helps much but it's probably a FS5 or FS7 and it's XAVC. Lately I've had to deal with footage from a FS7 and those extra 6 channels of audio are basically user error from the operator not knowing their gear well. Even though there's really no audio, those 6 tracks still waste space. Those camera's default to 8 channels and from several people who use them, nobody checks settings :-\

Since I'm still on MC 5.5.4 I just transcode with Resolve which gives me the 2 channels of audio that are there.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 6, 2015 at 2:45:35 pm

You are right that they are not being controlled at time of production, and it is most Sony XDCAM camera types of which a lot are being used - in Reality they love the BluRay based versions as it provides archive as well.

But a lot of NLE solution design is about handling user and equipment errors that can occur upstream whenever possible. This is a simple case of enabling AMA to select channels to be linked at time of linking. I would also suggest that the same control be available when consolidating transcoding, there is no control over A only or specific tracks without creating subclips and all the aforementioned workarounds.

For example, back in the early to mid-90's when I designed the Film Composer to make sure it captured the proper frames from NTSC based sources, I made sure that it could do from the A, B, C, or D frames regardless of which timecode it fell on. The major competing system in this space at the time, could only do so when the "A" frame fell on timecodes ending on NDF 0 or 5. And while that was the recommended workflow, it was never a guarantee that it would be. So those productions needed to re-transfer and lose a day in the process. Producers start taking notice of those things.

Michael

Return to posts index

Adam Leonard
on Dec 7, 2015 at 3:37:44 pm
Last Edited By Adam Leonard on Dec 7, 2015 at 3:39:53 pm

Thanks for this. I've had the chance to take a look at the camera and it's indeed a Sony FS7. I'll forward a link to this thread to the videographer to see if there's a setting he can change.

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Dec 7, 2015 at 5:23:57 pm

Hi Michael,
I am experiencing this same issue just today. All works well except when I go to relink. I'm trying to do all this directly from the XDCam disk and have not copied the disk to a hard drive ... therefore it is not seeing the disk as an available drive. Is there a workaround for this besides copying the disks to a drive?

Ricky

Return to posts index

Adam Leonard
on Dec 9, 2015 at 3:53:48 pm

So I've told the videoographer and he said:

"The XDCAM and XAVC standards have 8 tracks of audio, you cannot turn them off, it's part of the system standard. The empty tracks do not use up any significant amounts of data (almost zero)."

Is he right? That seems to be the opposite of what everyone is saying here. As mentioned upthread, the camera is a Sony FS7.

If he's wrong, how does he turn them off?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 9, 2015 at 4:11:30 pm

when looking at the user manuals, I saw no way of turning them off either. And while is correct that they are not taking up room, there are still two issue in post he/she may not be aware of:

1. It is a pain in the ass to keep turning them off during editorial
2. If you do transcode with audio channels, it will create channels of silence that will take up 48kHz/16 bit space.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]