FORUMS: list search recent posts

From Da Vinci to AVID

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Carley
From Da Vinci to AVID
on Dec 3, 2015 at 12:43:10 am

Hey everyone,

I've just started using DaVinci Resolve for dailies, and I'm working on a project where the editor needs files transcoded so that they can import (not link) them into AVID Media Composer. I'm transcoding Black Magic 4K ProRes into 1080p. It seems like I've tried every MXF export that Da Vinci offers (MXF OP-Atom, MXF OP1A, the AVID AAF Round Trip preset), and I keep getting error messages from AVID MC in one form or another:

*Importing MXFs I get: "You cannot import this file into a bin."

* Importing AAFs I get: "Failed to get sample position form the AMA plug in."

I've used the proper folder structure for AVID MC, so no issues there. I'm really scratching my head on this one. Any thoughts? I'm using DaVinci Resolve 12 and AVID MC 8.4.1.

Mac OSX 10.9.5

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: From Da Vinci to AVID
on Dec 3, 2015 at 1:17:49 am

You want MXF OPtom, then select the DNxHD data rate such as DNxHD36.
You can't import MXF OPAtom files into Media Composer. Since these are native, they can be copied directly into the Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1 (or any numbered folder)
I like to create a new numbered folder for each day's dailies starting at 10 or higher.
Launch MC then in a bin, right-click import, and navigate to that numbered folder and import the msmMMOB.mdb file.
This will populate the bin with master clips.

I do not trust AAF export for dailies when audio is involved. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But the method above should work for both picture and sound. I always recommend syncing audio in Media Composer as it makes Pro Tools workflow easier.

If you are using any other logged metadata from Resolve via ALE, be sure to merge it as per my blog:

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=247

Michael

Return to posts index

Josh Carley
on Dec 3, 2015 at 4:27:08 am

Michael,

Thanks so much for this. It worked! I'll check out your blog and the alternate suggestion you made for syncing audio. Again, thank you so much. You've helped cure the tremendous headache this issue was giving me.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 3, 2015 at 1:38:14 pm

Glad it worked out!

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 3, 2015 at 1:40:18 pm

Oh - and make sure you set the REEL ID correctly when making Avid media in Resolve. Many people leave this blank or wrong creating headaches later in conform.

Return to posts index

Hans Wurst
on Aug 7, 2016 at 10:58:49 am

Hi guys,
both this post and this from Freeman http://www.avidblogs.com/how-to-roundtrip-davinci-resolve-to-avid-media-com...
describe the same.
Only problem: davinci 12.3 doesnt create this msmMMOB.mdb files???
Did something change?
Im using newest MC 8.6 and Resolve. 12.3

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 7, 2016 at 12:57:53 pm

Only Media Composer creates a msmMMOB.mdb file. It does so upon starting up and will either create a new one, or validate/update an existing one. Once you put the OPAtom MXF files into the Avid MediaFiles/MXF/(number) folder structure, it will be created after startup.

Michael

Return to posts index

Hans Wurst
on Aug 7, 2016 at 11:12:08 pm

you are right! it wasnt creating them, because they had a different resolution then the former ones.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]