FORUMS: list search recent posts

Increasing Memory / Speed on Older 2009 Mac Pro

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Levine
Increasing Memory / Speed on Older 2009 Mac Pro
on Nov 29, 2015 at 7:40:22 pm

Is it worth it to increase my Mac Pro's memory? I have an early 2009 2 x 2.2.93 Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon computer with 32GB of 1066 Mhz DDR3 ECC memory. I see upgrade chips that can give me 128GB of new memory. Will this help my Media Composer handle multiple video layers faster and better - without rendering so often? My system has an external Nitris DX and I'm running MC version 8.4. I usually edit short films keeping everything linked to media instead of importing, which works great for most projects. With bigger projects that will require 4K soon, I'm wondering if these Mac Pros can be upgraded to handle the extra processing for those file sizes? I have fast eSata arrays for storage (eight bays combined into one fast disk). Some of my colleagues have said I need to switch to the newer "trash can" Mac Pros. Anyone using computers like mine with upgrades to get the job done? Are there other upgrades to consider that will benefit my workflow? Thanks, Jerry in Miami

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Increasing Memory / Speed on Older 2009 Mac Pro
on Nov 29, 2015 at 7:45:20 pm

Probably won't help much unless you use multiple programs at once. MC won't really use that much RAM. What you are asking about is more related to drive throughout and processor speed,

Resist the temptation to edit with Linked media (formerly AMA). Transcode to DNXHD and your performance will be dramatically better,

Return to posts index

Jerry Levine
on Nov 29, 2015 at 7:49:34 pm

I've heard this, appreciate it and understand the benefits, but I've always pushed the limits of Media Composer's ama linking abilities without importing and been able to save the step. Lately, the systems is not as fast as it once was editing with this work flow. I hear what you are saying about memory and will take that into account. I run Photoshop while I'm running MC, and always have a couple of browsers and mail open and working, but not too much more.

Jerry in Miami

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Nov 29, 2015 at 8:49:23 pm

Under normal conditions, MC doesn't use anywhere near 32gb of RAM. Might be worth it if you also run After Effects, but unlikely you are using documents,large,enough to make much difference in Photoshop for video.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Abrams
on Dec 12, 2015 at 4:10:35 pm

The 2009 Mac Pro uses triple-channel memory. This means that even though you have a total of eight RAM slots, the computer operates at maximum efficiency when you populate six RAM slots.

As for whether or not you need more memory, that depends on whether or not you don't have enough RAM. I realize this sounds like a "Which came first?" question. How do you determine whether or not you do not have enough RAM? Launch Activity Monitor (/Applications/Utilities). On Mac OS X v10.6.0 (Snow Leopard) through Mac OS X v10.8.5 (Mountain Lion), click the System Memory tab and look at the value for Page outs. If this is anything other than zero, then you do not have enough RAM for what you are doing. On Mac OS X v10.9.0 (Mavericks) and later, click the Memory tab and look at the Memory Pressure graph. If you see any red in this graph, then you do not have enough RAM for what you are doing.

Another upgrade option is to replace the CPUs with those that were used in the MacPro5,1. I have no experience doing this. I only know that other people have done it with success.

--
Jonathan S. Abrams, CEA, CEV, CBNT
Apple Certified - Technical Coordinator (v10.5) Support Professional (v10.6 through v10.8)
Chairman, NY section, AES

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Dec 12, 2015 at 8:50:33 pm

For what it's worth, I upgraded the processors in my 2009 Mac Pro to make it a 12 core 2.93 GHZ beast. It's not for the faint of heart, as great care must be taken to avoid crushing the pins on the processor tray must be taken. Apple used lidless processors on the 2009 Mac Pro. You are replacing them with standard Intel processors with lids, which changes the height of the heat sink. If you over tighten the heat sink, you crush the pins on your processor board.

Return to posts index

Jerry Levine
on Dec 13, 2015 at 4:29:42 pm

Sounds like a much bigger job than I could handle - thanks!!

Jerry in Miami

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]