FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I view all media within a project so I can relink all offline files?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Arndt
Can I view all media within a project so I can relink all offline files?
on Nov 23, 2015 at 6:06:31 pm

In Media Composer, is there any way to show all media within a project?

I'm relinking a lot of offline media, and it would be nice if I could have a master list of all media that is in the project so I can easily see what is online and what is offline.

As it is now, I open up individual bins and relink the media files within them. It would be nice to be able to relink for the entire project.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Can I view all media within a project so I can relink all offline files?
on Nov 23, 2015 at 6:27:03 pm

Make one bin...copy ALL the clips into that one bin. That's the only way I know of.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Luke Arndt
on Nov 23, 2015 at 7:03:07 pm

Thanks, Shane.

In that case, is there any easy-ish way to copy all of the clips from various bins into one bin? Or am I still looking at opening each bin individually and then copying its clips to the "master" bin?

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Nov 23, 2015 at 7:06:13 pm

Couldn't you open the Media Tool, have it show all clips from the project, then drag them all to a new bin?

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Nov 27, 2015 at 4:06:25 pm

Agreed. Try this before anything more exotic.

Return to posts index

Luke Arndt
on Dec 4, 2015 at 10:36:57 pm

I tried this, but the Media Tool doesn't seem to show offline clips.

Return to posts index

Phil Lowe
on Dec 7, 2015 at 8:58:53 am

Do you have Offline selected as one of your column headings in the Media Tool? If not, right mouse click on the Media Tool and select "Choose Columns" from the pop-up menu. Scroll down to "Offline" and make sure it's checked. Sine this would be the column you're most interested in, drag the column header (or tab) close to the Name column, select the "Offline" tab, then sort using CTRL/CMD-E.

If you're still not seeing offline media at that point, make sure "media files" is checked when you open the Media Tool, and select all drives and all projects. You can then sort on other columns, as needed, to find the missing media for a particular project.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 23, 2015 at 7:09:52 pm

You have to open each bin and OPT-DRAG them over. Not sure how you could possibly do this without opening the bins. OK, there's one way, but ONLY if the hard drive you store the media on only has media from THIS project, and that's it. Because avid mixes project media in the same folder on the desktop level.

BUT...a quick way is to open the MXF folder, and the numbered folder, and drag the .mdb file into that new bin. Now EVERY media file in that folder will populate that bin.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 6, 2015 at 2:51:06 pm

But this method does not show offline clips either, it will only create clips from the active media found in the Avid MediaFiles folder.

Something I do as a normal part of my "dailies" organization, whether it came from AMA or other, is for each day's source elements (or however you choose to organize) I select all the clips and do an AutoSequence. I rename the sequence based on my organization, in this case it might be date/camera/card, etc. I then store those away in bins and their own folder for "historical archive." It is a very quick process to do, and if I ever need to get back to my original sources, be online or offline, I can open those bins with sequences, and do a set bin display to show sources and get all my master clips back. And since they are sequences, I can also export AAF with media copy and other workarounds to lack of real media management system for project collation and archive that is more obvious.

Michael

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 6, 2015 at 5:28:59 pm

you would still have to open every bin, but you could create a master timeline from every clip in your project, put that sequence in a bin, and do a bin display, show reference clips selection.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]