FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working with Media Composer 8.0 on a laptop?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ada Ya
Working with Media Composer 8.0 on a laptop?
on Nov 20, 2015 at 11:14:35 pm

Hey,

I'm working on documentary with 18 hours of footage and I'm using Avid MC 8.0.
The problem is that the program runs very slow.

Here are the specs:

Raw footage files
- AVCHD
Computer
- 2.3 GHz AMD Quad-Core A10-4600M APU
- 8 GB DDR3 Ram
- AMD Radeon HD 7660G/7670M Dual GPU (1 GB DDR3 dedicated)

I'm working from an external hard drive connected through USB 3.0.
All the file's are AMA linked, not imported.
I've done a sequence of selected Close ups.

Questions
- Would the program run faster if the files was imported instead of AMA linked?
- Can I lower the preview quality and still keep the cut that I've made?
- Any other long-term solutions that will speed up the program?

Thanks,

Adam
Day 32

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Working with Media Composer 8.0 on a laptop?
on Nov 21, 2015 at 1:08:33 am

[Ada Ya] "All the file's are AMA linked, not imported."

That's your problem RIGHT there...AVCHD AMA linked, and not transcoded. AVCHD is the most processor intensive codec out there...decoding it in real time takes TONS of resources. Avid isn't built for that. Adobe is, but only if you add those resources...LOTS of RAM, and an expensive graphics card that enables the Mercury Engine.

No, for Avid you need to transcode this footage to DNxHD after you link....and edit the DNxHD footage.

[Ada Ya] "- Would the program run faster if the files was imported instead of AMA linked?"

AMA link and transcode. IMPORTING is the old school way, and not as solid as AMA link and transcode.

[Ada Ya] "- Can I lower the preview quality and still keep the cut that I've made?"

Nope. It's not the playback quality that's the issue, it's the codec. You can transcode the footage and relink your cut to that footage. In order to do that, you need to take the original AMA footage offline....

[Ada Ya] "- Any other long-term solutions that will speed up the program?"

Yup...use the workflow it's designed for. AMA link direct editing really isn't the way. It works best when cutting short form projects, and with formats that are easier to deal with, like DNxHD or ProRes QT files, MXF camera masters, etc. AVCHD is just a bear of a format. SO...AMA link and transcode...that's the way Avid works best.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ada Ya
on Nov 21, 2015 at 1:51:41 am

Thank you for that very helpful post.

Now I know that importing isn't the way to go.
And now I know that I need to take the current media offline, AMA relink
and trans-code it.

Is this the way to take media offline, AMA re-link and trans-code?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 21, 2015 at 3:07:24 am

That's the OFFLINE/ONLINE workflow...you don't necessarily need to do that. You only have 18 hours, not that much. Transcode to a full res codec, DNx145 or 175. Note, the file sizes will be about 4 times larger than the AVCHD...so you will need a decent sized drive. But 18 hours is not that much.

Offline/online is for when you have hundreds of hours of footage. Or at least a few dozen.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Phil Lowe
on Nov 21, 2015 at 10:26:51 pm

"I'm working from an external hard drive connected through USB 3.0.
All the file's are AMA linked, not imported."

Transcode on import is the way to speed up your edit, but 18 hours of transcoded HD is going to use a lot of disk space. Space or speed: what do you need more?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 22, 2015 at 2:05:01 am

18 hours of DNxHD 145 is 1.2TB. DnxHD 175 is 1.4TB. Two and Three TB drives are available, and really not that expensive.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Nov 22, 2015 at 5:42:44 am
Last Edited By Neil Goodman on Nov 22, 2015 at 5:43:25 am

no need to take AMA files offline anymore. Just transcode all your clips AND our current sequence to whatever flavor of DNX suits you. The continue editing off the transcoded sequence.

Return to posts index

Ada Ya
on Nov 23, 2015 at 4:32:39 am

So the things I need to do now is

1. Get a 2TB harddrive
2. Take current media offline
3. Import new media
4. Transcode the imported media
5. Re-link my sequence to the new imported and transcoded media.

Did I understand it correctly?
I'm quite new to Avid and have never re-linked anything before.

Thanks for all the help.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 23, 2015 at 7:05:37 am

[Ada Ya] "1. Get a 2TB harddrive"

Yes.

[Ada Ya] "2. Take current media offline"

NO! You already have it AMA linked. NOW, Transcode that media to the new hard drive, DNxHD 145 or 115...depending on what options you have available.

[Ada Ya] "3. Import new media
4. Transcode the imported media"

No...see above.

[Ada Ya] "5. Re-link my sequence to the new imported and transcoded media."

Yes. Highlight the sequence and RELINK...should do it automatically.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Ada Ya
on Nov 24, 2015 at 12:22:54 am

Okey!

I'll update, when I've done that.

Return to posts index

Ada Ya
on Dec 20, 2015 at 2:46:42 am

I've done each steps as suggested.

First transcoded all clips and then transcoded the sequence.

Although now I have duplicated clips.
The transcoded sequence created one new transcoded
clip for every clip that was used in the sequence.

How do I remove all the duplicated clips?

Thanks,

Adam

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 20, 2015 at 6:11:41 pm

You can see the difference between the linked clips and the transcoded clips by the icon. linked clips have the little chain.

Typically I put my linked clips in a folder/bin configuration labeled "original links" I quite often do offline/online workflows, so I like the ability to go back to my original links, and I don't like having to relink hundreds of clips at the end of the process, so I keep my links around.

If you still have the links, separate them into other bins.

I'm trying to remember in V8.0 if upon transcoding clips, did all the linked clips change over to a regular clip icon? (no longer showing the difference between transcodes and links?)

If you can still tell which are links, and you want to delete them, then go ahead and delete them. Deleting a linked clip doesn't delete the original media, just the link to it that you have created.

If all your clips now appear to be transcoded media, but you have duplicates, then you should at least have a .new in the naming of the new clips? The other clips would be your original links.
If you want to delete those, just don't delete the associated media with those clips.

If unsure as to what you can delete, and what not to delete, just remember, if you go to delete a transcoded clip, you have the option of deleting both the master clip, and the associated media (transcoded media)from that clip. In your situation, you do not want to delete the associated media, so don't hit that checkbox.

Anytime you accidentally delete just the master clip (without its media) you can always bring it back in with the Media Tool, or by dragging a database into an open bin and finding the missing clip there.

One of the best things people new to Avid can do is play around with the media management system, and learn how to use it to your advantage. Yes it is very different that Premiere and Final Cut, but it is still very strong, and very flexible.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Ada Ya
on Dec 20, 2015 at 11:48:09 pm

Hi Glenn I wasn't specific enough in my other post.

I actually got duplicates of transcoded media, with the same name.
I had a Clips bin and a Sequence bin.
When I transcoded the media in the clips bin
I got.

clip1.new1
clip2.new1
clip3.new1

Then I transcoded the Sequence and got.

clip1.new1
clip3.new1

When I transcoded the sequence it created a new clip for every clip that was orignially used. As you can see here "clip2.new1" is not used in the sequence and therefor not transcoded.

The problem now is that I have files that have the exact name and are also transcoded.
I can manually look which file's where created from the sequence and which one was not. Then delete the clips from the "Clips bin".

Ohh, now I actually figgure out how I can do.
I first transcode the sequence, then go to clips bin, then -> Select unreferenced clips and transcode those.

Than I won't get any duplicates.

Although I still have a problem that all the clips get's unsorted.
Not as I've laid them out in the clips bin. The chronological order goes away.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 21, 2015 at 3:24:54 pm

If you had already transcoded the bulk media, there was no need to transcode the sequence. A simple relink operation could have pointed the sequence to the newly transcoded media.

If you look at your Avid MediaFiles/mxf/1 folder, and sort by date modified, you should be able to figure out where the duplicates are. If you are nervous about deleting media, simply take the newest version of each clip and move it up 1 level into a new folder.

Avid will rebuild its database, and you should see the original transcodes online, and the second batch online. From there you can begin the relink procedure.

If you feel you have mistakenly moved a couple of incorrect files out of the mxf/1 folder, simply locate them (they aren't that hard to identify by their name, once you start looking closely at the naming convention) and move them back in. Again, Avid will rebuild the database.

Your next question will be on the relinking procedure, but that is another topic :)

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]