FORUMS: list search recent posts

slow and sluggish avid..

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ludmil Kazakov
slow and sluggish avid..
on Nov 18, 2015 at 7:37:57 pm

okay.. i got a 90 minute movie which is converted DNX115... when i go in trim mode it takes 15-20 seconds for the function to kick in... i am running a maxed out Mac Pro cylinder and avid 8..

it just takes so much time for me to do simple things.. any ideas?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: slow and sluggish avid..
on Nov 18, 2015 at 8:03:28 pm

What type of drive, connection and speed can it do?

Michael

Return to posts index

Ludmil Kazakov
on Nov 18, 2015 at 8:06:31 pm

its connected to 64TB Pegasus Thunderbolt drive..

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 18, 2015 at 8:12:10 pm

Hmmm... should be fast enough, have you done a speed test on it just to be sure? I also find that the longer the media file, the more MC struggles with it, but that was always with LongGOP and AMA linked files where this was immediately noticeable. But, there may be something related with DNxHD, but I don't have any real insight of where to look next.

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 18, 2015 at 8:31:22 pm

How full is it? And look in the numbered folders in the MXF folder...should be under 5000 files per numbered folder. Sometimes going above that causes slowness. SOMETIMES...just a thought.

What OS are you running? Do you have an IO device connected? which one? What driver? Anything change, ie, any updates, from the time it was smooth to the slowdown?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Nov 29, 2015 at 4:51:17 pm

[Shane Ross] "What OS are you running? Do you have an IO device connected? which one? What driver? Anything change, ie, any updates, from the time it was smooth to the slowdown?"

Concur with these thoughts. Slowness in trim mode is almost always related to the version of the driver for an I/O device. If one has a Blackmagic device one should try different version of Desktop Video to find one that works correctly in one's environment.

Hope you folks are well and good,
Robert

Robert A. Ober
IT Consultant, Vidcaster, & Freelancer
http://www.infohou.com
Houston, TX

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Nov 19, 2015 at 12:31:56 am
Last Edited By Job ter Burg on Nov 19, 2015 at 12:33:11 am

You are going to want to use the Playlength feature when your sequences are longer than 25 minutes and/or contain more than a few tracks. Unfortunately, MC doesn't handle those larger sequences that well. Fortunately, there is the Playlength feature.

Open the Command Palette and find the button labeled "PL" (under the PLAY tab), map it to a key or button, and press it.

You will see the color of your play button has changed. You can now only play forward one minute or backward one minute. After a minute in either direction, MC stops. You press stop and play again to continue. The upside is that you will no longer have to wait forever for MC to catch up when you make a simple adjustment to a sequence.

What this feature does is limit the playback buffer MC makes whenever you do anything.

Press the PL button again to turn the feature off.

The default setting is 1 minute, but that is often too limiting. I like using 4 or 6 minutes, so you can work on a scene or sequence without the machine stopping playback.

To change the playlength duration, open the console (CMD-6 on Mac or CTRL-6 on PC), and type "playlength 4" or "playlength 6" (or whatever the amount of minutes you prefer.

Return to posts index

Ludmil Kazakov
on Nov 19, 2015 at 7:21:30 pm

this is stupid.. MC doesn't handle sequences larger than 25 minutes?? isn't MC used for editing features? i mean what if we got something close to final version and we want to tweak it, few frames here and there.... wtf.. final cut 7 from last century can handle an entire 90 minute movie no problem...

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Nov 19, 2015 at 7:39:39 pm
Last Edited By Job ter Burg on Nov 19, 2015 at 7:44:41 pm

Well, my experience with final cut slow has been quite different. But I guess YYMV. That said, FCP 7 is not from last century, but from 2009.

MC handles long sequences but the more tracks and effects in the sequence, the slower normal tweaks become. Again, when doing the tweaks, you can activate the playlength command so you can work. When you need to play back a long section, turn it off. One click.

Not trying to defend the way this works, but yes, most longform is done on MC and to the best of my knowledge most editors doing longform use this feature to make the software more responsive when trimming and tweaking.

Have you tried it, and does it help?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]