FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid MC Timewarp: when does it not apply?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David J. Smolar
Avid MC Timewarp: when does it not apply?
on Nov 16, 2015 at 1:54:55 pm

Hi all, and forgive me if you've heard this before. I'm working in Avid MC at a new place that often throws me anamorphic video for me to reversion. My sequences are 30i 16:9, so Avid automatically "conforms" the footage with a standard "Flex" effect, stretching the footage out for me.

I'm mostly reversioning cut news packages for foreign language use. Because the new dubbing audio track doesn't always match the footage, I've found the "trim to fill" effect to be my new best buddy. BUT, sometimes it simply doesn't work. Avid won't let me use it on a clip, saying it doesn't apply, that the original footage doesn't match the sequence or something like that. And, yes, sometimes I'm able to force it to work by "promoting" the clip in the Motion FX window and manually stretching the time to fit my needs.

But sometimes, it doesn't even let me do THAT.

So I'm looking for guidance and support. What is it about some clips or some footage that Avid refuses to allow a motion FX or time stretch effect to be used? Is there anything I can do to be sure the clips are always going to work correctly? I'm guessing someone will tell me to just transcode all clips on AMA import, but I don't think that works every time.

Any similar situations or workflow suggestions? Thanx, Dave.

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Avid MC Timewarp: when does it not apply?
on Nov 16, 2015 at 3:04:11 pm

If the clip does not match project frame rate or field order a Motion Adapter is automatically applied. A Motion Adapter is essentially a Time Warp effect and performs the necessary rate conversion/field conversion on the fly. Because of this, you cannot apply a Time Warp effect to your clip because, one already exists.

So yes, if you AMA Link, then transcode your clips tho the project frame rate/field order first, you will be able to apply TimeWarp effects normally.

Return to posts index

David J. Smolar
Re: Avid MC Timewarp: when does it not apply?
on Nov 23, 2015 at 8:49:47 pm

Thanks so much, John. I'll find out from my boss if he approves that workflow. He might say that transcoding every file will fill up the drives too fast, but who knows.

David J. Smolar
Preditor
dsmolar.wix.com/inbetweenthings

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]