FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it possible to use 2 keyboards with Avid, and have different keyboard shortcuts for each?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy See
Is it possible to use 2 keyboards with Avid, and have different keyboard shortcuts for each?
on Nov 16, 2015 at 3:58:16 am

Out of frustration for constantly changing patching and working with a large number of tracks, it occurs to me that it would be good to have buttons exclusively for dealing with them, and for dealing with large numbers of them, therefore requiring buttons for each potential track, thus requiring many buttons to be reserved for this purpose.

That becomes unfeasible for a single keyboard, however it is possible at the operating system level to plug in and operate two keyboards simultaneously with no problems. It would be good then to have one keyboard configured such that every single number key and every key in the row beneath the numbers be dedicated just to track selection and patching operations as well as track monitoring operations. The problem is though, Avid only seems to be aware that there one keyboard and doesn't as far as I'm aware appear to have any options for adding additional keyboards with their own key assignments that are separate to my primary keyboard.

Can this be done?

Return to posts index

Massimo Alberto Croce
Re: Is it possible to use 2 keyboards with Avid, and have different keyboard shortcuts for each?
on Nov 16, 2015 at 9:46:16 am

You can create addictional keyboards layout in avid and switching to those layout when need it.

Massimo Alberto Croce
Video Editor, Colorist, Pro Tools Editor
massimoalberto.croce@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Jimmy See
Re: Is it possible to use 2 keyboards with Avid, and have different keyboard shortcuts for each?
on Nov 16, 2015 at 10:07:21 am

Thanks, but unfortunately in order to use two keyboards and therefore dedicate one keyboard to a specific purpose (in my case patching and track selection and track monitoring) you would need both layouts to be active at the same time.

Of course if I had two keyboard layouts active simultaneously and only one keyboard then the there would be conflicts between differently assigned key combinations and it wouldn't work, which is why that is not allowed, however, as I physically have two keyboards at my disposal, it would be good to have one assigned to each layout thus eliminating any conflicts and allowing me to take advantage of the additional extra physical space and buttons.

In order to switch keyboard layout, it is necessary to use the mouse to navigate to the home window, select the settings tab, scroll down the settings list to find the keyboard layouts and then click the checkbox adjacent the alternate keyboard settings entry in the list. It would then also be necessary after doing so, to do the same again in order to switch back to the original layout. This would eliminate all the benefit of two layouts, whether it's two keyboards or one.

Is it possible to switch layouts by a hotkey combination?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]