Configuring new MacPro tower?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Griffin
Configuring new MacPro tower?
on Nov 13, 2015 at 4:26:31 pm
Last Edited By Nick Griffin on Nov 13, 2015 at 4:32:13 pm

Folks-

About to move up from an old MacPro tower with an eSata RAID to a new tubular MacPro and have questions for which I would greatly appreciate any and all input.

1) Does Avid take advantage of multiple cores or is a six or eight core machine enough?

2) How much RAM is ideal?

3) Since I'm coming from a Kona 3 card, which I've only been using to drive an external video monitor, and have no need for the Input function of an I/O card, how does one drive an external calibrated monitor like a Flanders? Is there are Thunderbolt to DVI adapter? Or is an external housing needed to hold an I/O card? What's the BEST way to do this?

4) Any recommendations on a Thunderbolt RAID?

5) Anything else I should be thinking about in configuring a new system from scratch?

AND, 6) Does the new MacPro have a video card that is compatible with Davinci Resolve or do I need to buy that video card as an separate option?

THANX!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Configuring new MacPro tower?
on Nov 13, 2015 at 5:19:40 pm

[Nick Griffin] "1) Does Avid take advantage of multiple cores or is a six or eight core machine enough?"

Avid doesn't use multiple cores. But Adobe does, and so do some compression apps.

[Nick Griffin] "2) How much RAM is ideal?"

16GB is fine if you only run Avid. More if you run other apps. If you run ANY adobe apps, that are RAM hungry...I'd get more. 24-36.

[Nick Griffin] "3) Since I'm coming from a Kona 3 card, which I've only been using to drive an external video monitor, and have no need for the Input function of an I/O card, how does one drive an external calibrated monitor like a Flanders? Is there are Thunderbolt to DVI adapter? Or is an external housing needed to hold an I/O card? What's the BEST way to do this?"

BEST way? AJA T-TAP or other Thunderbolt IO. BMD has had a bad rep lately, and I know that we have issues with their INtensity on one of our work machines, but I tried the UltraSTudio Extreme 4K last night for a bit (TB attached) and it worked just fine. They do make a $150 Mini Monitor that's TB connected, so you can use that. BUT...know that audio follows video, so you'll now have to patch the monitor to your mixer and use that. I do anyway, as the sync is better. BUT...the Trash Can MP does have HDMI out. But, the FSI doesn't have that in...so....yeah. Try a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter (Monoprice has them for under $10)...and you can still monitor audio off your mac. BUT! That won't be color accurate at all.

[Nick Griffin] "4) Any recommendations on a Thunderbolt RAID?"

Promise Raid...expensive, but I know many people who like these. I tested the OWC THunderbay 4, and REALLy liked it. WIsh I could have bought it, but had too many home repairs that sucked up my discretionary fund.

[Nick Griffin] "5) Anything else I should be thinking about in configuring a new system from scratch?"

MOnitor connectivity. Might need adapters for existing monitors, but that's fine, those are cheap. Lack of Firewire connectivity...so adapters for those. Basically, be prepared to buy a handful of adapters.

[Nick Griffin] "6) Does the new MacPro have a video card that is compatible with Davinci Resolve or do I need to buy that video card as an separate option?"

This one I don't know...didn't use one with Resolve yet.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Alain Dessauvage
on Nov 15, 2015 at 9:28:52 pm

BMD cards used to be rubbish, but they finally caught up with the rest performance wise after al these years. Just don't use the latest driver (10.5) but the previous one (10.4.3). BMD is now Avid's preferred hardware partner and works with Resolve, so things don't look too good for AJA and others. Matrox already stopped supporting Avid.

I'm running an Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt on my MacBook Pro and a Decklink Mini Monitor on my MacPro 2010. Both without trouble nor lag issues.

If you use the Ultrastudio Express, you can use the analog outputs (via breakout cable) to monitor the sound. If you use the Mini Monitor you 'll have to use the headphone output of the FSI, or connect the HDMI output to an AV receiver or preamp (Denon DN500AV). This has the added advantage that you're then able to monitor in surround if you need this.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0220918/

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Nov 15, 2015 at 10:53:27 pm

[Alain Dessauvage] "BMD is now Avid's preferred hardware partner and works with Resolve"

Hmmm, good to know but talk about strange bedfellows? The new Resolve is touting itself as having NLE capabilities and, while not as powerful, MC Symphony competes with Resolve, right?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]