FORUMS: list search recent posts

Online/Offline Workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olaf Steel
Online/Offline Workflow
on Nov 4, 2015 at 4:26:43 pm

Hi,

I'm working on a project that is now locked and I'm about to bring the media online - we've been working with Avid DNx 80, and I want to uprez it to DNx 175x.

We are using a Terrablock server, with the project's media files scattered across several virtual drives.

My plan is to unmount the Terrablock drives, thus bringing my master sequence offline. Then I'll do a batch import and link to where the raw footage is stored.
Does that sound like a solid plan, or is there something I need to be aware of?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Online/Offline Workflow
on Nov 4, 2015 at 5:43:37 pm

Were the original files batch imported or AMA linked/transcoded, or a combination of both? You can batch import to a sequence, for those clips, you need to batch import back to the original master clip. For linking, then you are on the right track.

Michael

Return to posts index

Olaf Steel
on Nov 4, 2015 at 5:44:56 pm

Oh yes, I forgot to mention; they were AMA linked and then transcoded.

Return to posts index

Steve Plummer
on Nov 4, 2015 at 7:15:10 pm

AMA link all the original files into a bin. Commit your sequence to eliminate unnecessary grouped media, then relink your sequence to those original files using the appropriate relink options, finally transcode the sequence to 175x. If you wish to see all the clips that relinked in your sequence before transcoding, turn off the video using the timeline monitor so that Avid doesn't freeze trying to read the entire sequence in AMA. The result is a sequence of 175x transcoded media with your chosen length of handles. This is exceptionally faster than a batch import or alike. Good luck.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Nov 5, 2015 at 10:21:01 am

My advice (and this is what I teach)
Do a video mixdown guide and store it locally.
Do an audio mixdown guide as well.
Seperate the audio (no point relinking AMA audio)
End up with video seq plus vid and aud guide both using locally stored media.
Take terrablock media offline.
Use bin display to show ref clips on seq bin.
Make sure source path and source file headings enabled.
Sort by source path. You now have a list of the AMA files that are needed.
AMA link all those into a fresh bin.
Select all those AMA files then right click seq and choose link to selected items in open bins.
Seq should come back online. Any rogue clips just overcut from AMA clips.
Use vid quide to do sync check.
Bring terrablock back online
Remove vid guide. Transcode timeline as required to terrablock.
Add original audio tracks and check against aud guide.
Vid and aud guide also double up as guide for audio dub.
Job just about done.

If London UK based just contact Pat at VET :-)

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 5, 2015 at 3:14:23 pm

I'll add that in my workflow I ensure the clip colour is turned on for AMA. (default is purple) This allows you to easily see what clips were found, and what clips were not found.

"Nothing better than a purple timeline"

Glenn

Return to posts index

Olaf Steel
on Nov 5, 2015 at 3:21:52 pm

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm going to embark on this mission today, using the method Pat Horridge suggested - I tried my original plan yesterday and ran into all sorts of problems. Those problems included Avid not batch importing spanned clips - I'd get an error message saying that that clip could not be imported to a bin, a lot of clips were coming in at different formats, like XDCAM and MPEG2, even though I those to transcode to DNx 175x. And it just seems like a long drawn-out process, especially when dealing with thousands of clips coming from several drives. I was expecting the relink to be closer to FCP, where it automatically links to all clips coming from the same source, once the path has been pointed out.

Pat's workflow seems like a solid one, so I'll give it a go and report back with any issues.

Thanks again everyone, truly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Olaf Steel
on Nov 9, 2015 at 5:26:02 pm
Last Edited By Olaf Steel on Nov 9, 2015 at 5:29:10 pm

OK, here's an update:
I followed Pat's method as outlined in his post above. I was able to relink most of my sequence and I've transcoded it to Avid DNx 175x. I'm now working to track down the raw footage that I have not yet linked to the project. Things went really well until this point. But now I'm getting constant beach balls for several minutes, leaving Avid completely unresponsive.

I deleted the AMA bin, thinking it was constantly try to scan that, thus giving me the beach ball, but that hasn't helped. The way things are, this is going to take me a very long time to get everything relinked and online.

I've made a new project which contains only the sequence I'm working with and the folders containing the master clips linking to the DNx 80 low res media. Still having the same issue.

I'm working on a new Mac Pro with a 3.5 GHz 6-core processor and 64GB of memory, so the machine should be able to handle this work.

If anyone has any thoughts on the issue, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Nov 9, 2015 at 5:59:03 pm

Sounds like issues with non linked AMA content.

In Avid land media is online (available) or not and when not Avid sows the media offline slate.
However now we have AMA there is an in between state that can occur.
MC thinks the media is online and playable but the link to the media is incorrect. On Mac systems this is often terminal with spinning beach balls and lock ups. The PC systems seem to hang for a while then recover.
This will happen if you have a clip in the source or record monitor that thinks its AMA online but isn't. Using the clear monitor drop down will often recover the system back.

So it sounds like you still have one or more clips in the timeline that don't have fully playable AMA media available to them.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]