FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid on a MacBook Pro and BMD UltraStudio. Benefits?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Hurlock
Avid on a MacBook Pro and BMD UltraStudio. Benefits?
on Oct 30, 2015 at 9:26:04 pm

Over the last year I have migrated to editing almost full time on my Macbook pro, while my desktop system gathers dust. Lately projects have been coming down the road which seem to need more horsepower than the laptop has, mostly 1080i projects or DSLR 1080 projects requiring extensive color correction, etc.

So I've been wondering if interfacing my laptop to a BMD UltraStudio via thunderbolt would yield better results with playback and rendering. I don't need it for ingest. However being able to hookup my SDI monitor would be a plus. Does anybody out there have a similar configuration and can share if it improves performance noticeably?

Running the latest Macbook Pro i7, 16 gig ram, etc. Best one. MC 8.3 OS 10.9.5

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Avid on a MacBook Pro and BMD UltraStudio. Benefits?
on Oct 30, 2015 at 9:32:16 pm

[Brent Hurlock] "So I've been wondering if interfacing my laptop to a BMD UltraStudio via thunderbolt would yield better results with playback and rendering."

Nope. All any hardware IO offers is capture and output. NO acceleration. The new DNxIO for Avid boasts some sort of DNxHD benefits...not entirely sure what they mean by that though. No, what this will give you is the ability to capture from all sorts of decks, and output to decks, and for proper output to a color grading monitor.

[Brent Hurlock] "mostly 1080i projects or DSLR 1080 projects requiring extensive color correction, etc. "

If you are doing color correction, you will need this in conjunction with a broadcast monitor or GOOD HDTV, in order to see the proper color space.

[Brent Hurlock] "However being able to hookup my SDI monitor would be a plus. "

Yup, that's what it offers.

[Brent Hurlock] "Does anybody out there have a similar configuration and can share if it improves performance noticeably?"

I've used the AJA IoXT...BMD Mini Monitor, and soon will be getting the Ultrastudio Extreme 4K. But only for the IO options it offers (as well as working with Resolve). No boost in performance comes from it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]