FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow suggestions?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aymie Elkins-Green
Workflow suggestions?
on Oct 30, 2015 at 1:21:13 pm

Hey everyone, really hoping someone on here can help me! I started a small home post suite off the back of working in TV for some years, but never required the scale I was used to. Started out at home just importing 5D footage to the local drive, then wiping the MXF files when the project was finished, and moving on. Always just keeping a back up of the original footage for a re conform if necessary.
Well, this has all grown to an unbelievable scale and I don't know how to manage it!
I'm now working with a mix of 5D and C100 files so H264 and AVCHD, about 100GB worth per project. I no longer have the luxury of one at a time, but having to skip between back and forth projects. I can't seem to get enough hard drive space to be able to import everything as 100GB seems to turn into about 400GB once imported, and I have at LEAST 5 projects on the go at a time. I've just done a few AMA only projects, worked for a little while but now crashing and lagging beyond belief. I could do an offline transcode from AMA, then an online when it's all finished but the storage issue is there still, with everything going to the same avid mediafiles folder. Is my only choice now to upgrade to a unity space to separate projects so I know which I'm wiping, or is there a smaller scale hard drive set up I'm not aware of?
Does anyone have any help or suggestions as to how I can manage this? I feel like I'm stuck in a middle ground of home editing and post facility!

Thank you!!

Return to posts index

Earle Nichol
Re: Workflow suggestions?
on Oct 30, 2015 at 4:49:45 pm

Hey Aymie,

Have you looked at a small RAID setup like the ESPro from G technologies, ...or not sure which platform you are on ...maybe a Promise Technologies RAID, would be a good setup.

There are tons out there...Also you might be in line for a MLOGIC or a LTO Archive system to keep your stuff organized and have peace of mind.

take care

Earle

Communication! Communication! Communication!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 30, 2015 at 5:07:20 pm

Yeah...no need for a UNITY...which is dead anyway. Or ISIS...the new product. That is for shared storage. Get yourself a large RAID. Thunderbolt if you have that option on your computer. Pegasus, OWC THunderbay, G-Tech...all options. Get a 20-40TB model. Heck, at work we have a 60TB one, that we use JUST to back up three seasons of our show that is on the ISIS.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Greg Cohan
on Oct 30, 2015 at 5:27:16 pm

For what it's worth... "at work" its a 64 tb and it's only season 3 not all seasons :-)

G-raid Studio XL. Super fast. Thunder bolt 2 or USB3 only. Comes raid 5 but suggest a raid 6 set up if using and always... always use a battery back up and surge protector.

We got a power hit that fried 2 drives at once. Lost 27 tbs of Master field footage. Thank god it was LTO'ed

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 30, 2015 at 6:10:10 pm

And my boss chimes in!

ONLY Season 3? Offline res too...wow, we shoot a lot. Well, true....3-6 cameras all summer.

Greg has a great motto..."If it doesn't exist in two places, it doesn't exist."

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

bryce arroyo
on Oct 30, 2015 at 5:15:34 pm

Aymie,

Would love to help you find a system that will fit you perfectly. If you're available to talk today feel free to give me a call and we can go through some options. Your definitely not stuck in the middle ground, and glad to help you.

Bryce Arroyo
Maxx Digital
714-374-4944

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]