FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good External Drives for MC

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Holmes
Good External Drives for MC
on Oct 27, 2015 at 9:32:11 am

Hi,

I'm looking to work in AMC and I want to know what sort of external drive or raid system would be suitable to handle the program's needs.

I'm using a MacBook Pro Retina. I've read that AMC has issues when writing/reading from the internal drive, and that you should set your project / media files to an external drive.

What would be a good, portable solution? I have a 2tb thunderbolt Lacie already, but I'm not sure it would be up for the task. What are other people using?

Cheers,

Ben

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
Re: Good External Drives for MC
on Oct 27, 2015 at 10:08:25 am

I'm going to elaborate.

I'm a freelance editor and I have a portable workstation. I would like any recommendations of drives that are preferably in a raid setup (if one drive fails, I still have the other drive). I would also like to be able to edit directly off the drive, using Avid. It is important to be small enough to carry in a backpack.

I'm looking currently at the G-tech drives, thunderbolt:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1123837-REG/g_technology_0g04085_g_ra...

and the Lacie Rugged Raid:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1135375-REG/lacie_9000601_4tb_2_x_2tb...

I like that the Lacie is smaller and heavily protected. But the G-tech is much faster. Does anyone have any experience with these two drives? Could I edit directly off the Lacie using Thunderbolt (up to 110Mbps in Raid-1)?

Any other recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Zoe Westley
on Oct 27, 2015 at 10:53:40 am

Hi Ben

i personally always use Gtech, they are much more durable and i have never experienced any problems. with Lacie drives i have had lots of problems over the years, ports stop working, they become sluggish, they often needle-building.

that said i've never used the lace raid you mention. but i would always go of Gtech

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Oct 28, 2015 at 2:28:08 pm

I think you will always find people who have had trouble with one drive or another. The key is to back up your media.

I've had lots of Gtechs die. (at least 3) as well as Lacies.

I do like the GTECH cases, and as such have swapped out their drives for others when the original has died.

Don't buy a hard drive thinking it will last for ever, buy a hard drive assuming it will die when you least expect it.

I'm on a promise raid right now, and I love it, but sooner or later I expect something to go wrong.

Raids are great for the redundancy, but you may want to have a spare drive sitting around as well. The redundancy only helps if you have a drive you can swap into the system to keep working, and quite often, you want it to be from the original manufacturer, to keep performance up to par.

Even at that, back up your originals.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]