FORUMS: list search recent posts

GoPro transcode Error -

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Marshall
GoPro transcode Error -
on Oct 21, 2015 at 10:43:38 pm

Hi I'm on Avid 6.5.4.5 running on OS X 10.9.5 I'm encountering an error every time I try to transcode AMAed GoPros. The error:
CDICReader_UNKNOW_COMPRESSION_TYPE
and also when it does transcode I get a fatal error after only it transcoding one or two clips.

First I thought it was because they were AMAed from our server so I copied the GoPros to the desktop and am still receiving the same error. All our comps are running the same OS and same version of Avid and it is happening on every comp. There's a gang of GoPros so I can't import them.

Does anyone know what is causing this and what the solution would be?

Ty for any insight as this is the first time I've encountered this.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: GoPro transcode Error -
on Oct 22, 2015 at 2:16:08 am

Has it worked before? It's been a while since I've used that version, but I know that AMA is in it's infancy on that version, and not every format was able to be AMA linked...and I think GoPro was one of the trouble ones. I had to either convert to ProRes with Compressor or Squeeze, or to Cineform with GoPro studio...then I was able to get it to work. But I'm not sure if that was 6.0, or 6.5...or when they fixed that issue.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Oct 22, 2015 at 3:38:52 am

As I recall, that version of Avid had difficulty with 1080p @ 60fps. If possible, do as Shane suggests and convert in another program.

Return to posts index

Jason Marshall
on Oct 22, 2015 at 6:03:21 am

I'm replacing someone who has moved on to greener pastures and he said he didn't have any problems but he said that that it was only a very limited amount of gopro that he received.

It'll transcode one or two before the fatal error or other error comes up. W I updated the Avid AVCHD plugin in hopes that might rectify the situation but to no avail. I checked to see if the rental had Perian installed because I've heard of conflicts with that and it doesn't have it.

Most places I'm at still run 6.5 and I've never had this problem before. I'm wondering if it's an OS issue because the places I've been run older OS versions.

In the meantime I've been running the clips in MPEG Streamclip in the background transcoding to Avid DNxHD as a way to move forward. It's time consuming and was hoping to avoid this.

Thanks for the insight any other ideas are welcome

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Oct 22, 2015 at 12:40:44 pm

As I alluded to before, I think it has to do with the frame rate in combination with that version of Avid..if in fact you have 60fps material. Do you? I would see the problem crop up with 60fps, but it would be just fine with 29.97, 25, 24, 23.976. This was with Windows 7 and Avid 6.x. In Avid 8.x, I don't see the issue anymore.

Another thing to try...and I should have suggested this before, is to manually select the AMA plugin rather than have Avid select it automatically. You do that with a pull-down menu in the link dialogue.

Return to posts index

Jason Marshall
on Oct 22, 2015 at 7:04:51 pm

The frame rate is 23.98 on the GoPros according to QT.

Which AMA plug in would I select for GoPros?

Could it be because this version of Avid doesn't have all the patches? Avid 6.5 patches run up to .7 if my research recalls. I read what the individual patches did but didn't see anything about AMA patch fix

Once again Ty

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 22, 2015 at 8:24:06 pm

[Jason Marshall] "Which AMA plug in would I select for GoPros?"

QUicktime.

[Jason Marshall] "Could it be because this version of Avid doesn't have all the patches?"

Not sure...sorry

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Oct 23, 2015 at 12:31:56 pm

Thanks for the clarification. Does not sound like the same issue I experienced.

Probably wouldn't hurt to run the updates to v6.5, but you are probably better off transcoding out of Avid. Things are much better on more recent versions of software, but I guess that doesn't really help you,

If you have a spare computer, you could run the trial of version 8.4 to do the transcoding and copy the finished media and bins.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]