FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid 25p vs 50i Project - Consequences of working progressive

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Fiennes
Avid 25p vs 50i Project - Consequences of working progressive
on Oct 14, 2015 at 5:04:31 pm

Hi all,

I am used to working in Interlaced environments due to this being out delivery format for most broadcasters.

I am ingesting for a large project and they have stated they would like to cut at 25p as that is what we are filming at. They are cutting DNx36 the majority of which has been AMA linked and transcoded down from various formats.

My question is what are the consequences of staying P and not transcoding everything to interlaced.

There is likely to be interlaced archive and additional/accidental interlaced footage which will need to go into the edit and be conformed at a later date. How does Avid handle this. Will it just motion adapt it? With this is mid

Plan at the end would be to conform back to the majority 25p footage and transcode to 185. Can this relink be done in an interlaced project or will I have to change the project format after relink every time in order to transcode? I can not test this at the moment as much of the footage is form PDW XDCAM disks

thanks for any help

W

Freelance Assistant Editor / Post Production Op / Learning to Shoot asap!!

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: Avid 25p vs 50i Project - Consequences of working progressive
on Oct 15, 2015 at 10:15:25 am

As long as Media Composer knows that footage is interlaced or progressive on ingest then it will add motion adapters to convert as required.
If you import (old legacy way) then the import option has a field order/progressive choice but only in an interlaced project format.
So you would have to toggle the project format to 50i set import option for correct field order and import then toggle back to 25P

For AMA you need to check the source setting after AMA linked to see it has correctly identified it's interlaced.

The key step is ensuring all content is checked for i or P and if i what filed order. Then link into MC and check source settings are correct and set if not. From there on MC will add motion adapters as required to de-interlace your i sources if in a P project format.

The end result will be a nice *if you like that sort of thing) juddery 25P output (you should avoid rollers for credits)

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Will Fiennes
on Oct 15, 2015 at 1:36:44 pm

Thanks for the reply Pat. Very helpful.

That makes sense. So it's fine. If I receive interlaced footage , toggle the project, ama or import at interlaced and then toggle back, taking every clip at it's merit.

Do you have any thoughts at the conform stage. I will need to relink back to the 25p footage. Does this have to be done in 25p format setting. Because I am going to be conforming from PDW discs I do not have the luxury of relinking large amounts of the sequence before transcoding for the online. Will it be a case of relink at 25p and then toggle to 50i and trans , toggle back as per ingest or can I just conform in an i project?

Again thanks

W

Return to posts index

Will Fiennes
on Oct 15, 2015 at 1:42:34 pm

One additional concern is that we plan to do reversions by onlining the main version of the show and then chopping around this to create alternative and shorter versions. This will mean that we will end up with this exported file at 1080i in a 25p project. Any issues here? Presumably it will just be a case of Avid motion adapting this main file.

thanks

W

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Oct 15, 2015 at 1:51:32 pm

I thought you needed to deliver a P output and the issue was possibly I content in it?

It doesn't really matter to MC. As long as the sources are correctly flagged (so for AMA source settings are correct. lets ignore imported or captured content)and you ensure you refresh the sequence. MC should take care of it. Any timeline renders may need to be redone. Any title media (if rollers or crawlers) may need to have media recreated.
But other than that MC should handle it.

Pat Horridge
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET

Return to posts index

Will Fiennes
on Oct 15, 2015 at 2:13:08 pm

Hi Pat.

Thanks a lot

Nope p footage and delivery is i . I am just thinking I might be better off ingesting further eps as I , that way ruling out any issues down the line. If the edit, online and reversions are all 1080i then I don't have to be concerned about what is and isn't the same .

W

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Oct 15, 2015 at 1:47:31 pm

You only need to toggle project format for tape ingest of import. With AMA its done by the AMA plugin but you need to check it gets it right via the source setting after AMA link is done.

I do a nice course that covers all this (VET Avid media management) but to help you out :-)

At the conform stage you will have a final sequence.
In a bin with no other content you can use the set bin display to show reference clips and you will then see every clip used in the sequence. Copy these out to a new empty bin. That's your conform list.
Make sure you have source file and source path column headings selected and sort by source path. You now have all the clips you need to AMA link sorted in order of original location and what clips you need.
AMA link those clips afresh (into yet another bin is good)you can try using the relinking option but in my experience an fresh AMA link is best. As each batch of clips AMA link check the source settings re I or P are correct (this can all be done while in the P project format)
If the setting is wrong change it.
When all AMA linking is done the sequence should have come back online. (you may want to have separated and consolidated the audio before all this as no point re-conforming perfectly good audio)
Use the refresh sequence option and select source settings to ensure the sequence reflects the AMA settings.
Check the progressive output on an external monitor to be sure no interlaced artefacts are present.

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]