FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rebuilding media databases not working

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alicia Ramirez
Rebuilding media databases not working
on Oct 9, 2015 at 9:41:56 pm

So here's the whole story:

I got an edited FCP 7 xml project via dropbox and all the appropriate files to link to the file. I opened in DaVinci successfully everything was there and linked. I color corrected and then wanted to edit and finish sound in Avid because I don't have final cut. So I rendered out DNXHD to the appropriate Avid Mediafiles/MXF/11 (I created a new folder called 11), and exported an aaf. When opening Avid it does not want to build a database for my folder 11. Does this mean my files are corrupted? and if so what do i do about that ?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Rebuilding media databases not working
on Oct 9, 2015 at 10:49:01 pm

is the Avid MediaFiles folder on the root level of the hard drive? And capital "F" in Avid MediaFiles

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Alicia Ramirez
on Oct 9, 2015 at 10:51:19 pm

Yes and yes. The MXF/1 folder rebuilt the .mdb .pmr files but it will not build for folder 11.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Oct 10, 2015 at 12:33:59 pm

Rename the current 1 folder 101 rename 11 to 1
Create a title to that drive. That should rebuild.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Alicia Ramirez
on Oct 10, 2015 at 2:49:48 pm

Just did this and it still comes up with Disk File not Found an Error occurred validating the media MXF/1

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Oct 10, 2015 at 7:39:59 pm

you said you rendered out dnxhd. Was this in a quicktime wrapper or mxf?

Glenn

Return to posts index

Alicia Ramirez
on Oct 10, 2015 at 7:45:43 pm

MXF

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Oct 11, 2015 at 6:45:33 pm

is this an external drive?
I'm wondering if you have a permissions error. Avid needs to be able to write to the drive to rebuild the database

Did the title you created and render to that drive at least show up in the folder structure?

Glenn

Return to posts index

Alicia Ramirez
on Oct 12, 2015 at 3:27:24 pm

The databases did rebuild on the other folders in the Avid MediaFiles/MXF folder on my external hard drive its just the folder with the color correction that isn't building. When I double click on one of the color corrected mxf files it will open avid and then a window pops up saying invalid file name. If that means anything to anyone...

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Oct 13, 2015 at 3:00:55 am

You might want to try to a local drive instead. Something is clearly off with the permissions to that drive. Avid seems to have permissions to write to it, as it created the "1" folder. I'm not sure why the Resolve media isn't behaving.

Next troubleshoot step would be to copy your resolve media to a local drive.

Same thing...if you don't already have an mxf/1 folder structure on the local drive, get avid to create one, using the same technique, then copy your resolve renders into that folder.

(You tell avid to create the media on a specific drive by selecting that drive when Avid asks where to render the file to, or on import, what drive you want to import the media to.)

I don't think you will find going to FCP any easier. The issue is probably with that drives setup. I go from Resolve to Avid all the time. The media Resolve is creating will be compatible. Avids issue is not being able to build a database, which is probably still some permission setting.

Try going to a local drive.

Glenn

Return to posts index

William Busby
on Oct 11, 2015 at 8:09:26 pm

maybe they're op1a out of Resolve instead of opAtom?

Return to posts index

Alicia Ramirez
on Oct 12, 2015 at 3:28:13 pm
Last Edited By Alicia Ramirez on Oct 12, 2015 at 4:52:12 pm

I researched op1a and op-atom but I don't really understand what to do about my files if they are op1a.

Also when I linked the files in Davinci with the xml FCP file I had to create a new folder which I called MXF to put all the original mov's in because the folder they were in before wasn't showing up in davinci and i couldn't link the mov files to the xml. The MXF folder with these movs is in Lacie 1TB/EssentialTremors(name of project)/Source/MXF, which is right next to the folder they were originally placed in. Would this be the cause of my problem? I tried changing the name of the MXF folder but then couldn't figure out how to relink in DaVinci.

Should I start the process over? Load xml into davinci, export as an aaf before color correcting so I can open in Avid to transcode the files and then go back to DaVinci to color correct all over again?

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Oct 12, 2015 at 8:05:56 pm

Simply this whole thing to figure out what the issue is.

Move your Resolve media to a folder called "Project_Name" from Resolve.

Move those 1 level up from the MXF folder.(or just delete them...we'll recreate them later)

Make sure there is now no MXF/1 folder.

Go to Avid and import a still into your project. Tell Avid to create that media on the external drive you are using.

Does this create a "1" folder now?

If not there is a permissions issue with that drive.
If yes, go back to resolve and select an avid round trip preset in the delivery page and tell it to render to that "1" folder. No subfolders, just straight into that "1" folder.

Launch Avid. Hopefully Avid will now rebuild the database and you can import that database to get your media.

At this point you can delete those original renders out of Resolve.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Alicia Ramirez
on Oct 12, 2015 at 9:21:22 pm
Last Edited By Alicia Ramirez on Oct 13, 2015 at 1:33:44 am

I am trying this now and yes a mxf/1 folder was created with the appropriate .mdb and .pmr files and Creating folder made. I went into DaVinci. Rendered to MXF/1 and then opened Avid and the same message came up which is Disk File not Found: error validating media....etc Same problem.

However I spoke to the editors and producers and now they just want me to render a final cut compatible project which should be much easier right? because i started from an xml from FCP 7, so it should be easier right?
WRONG.

Now I am getting a message that says unable to render to selected path as it does not have write permission from DaVinci.

And yes I double checked the write permissions of DaVinci multiple times and restarted it after changing the selected path. Could you men please give me an answer that isn't an obvious solution? So far all I've gotten is the op1a versus opAtom advice from William Busby. But now that doesn't necessarily apply to this problem.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Oct 13, 2015 at 3:09:03 am

also, if you can post one of the smaller video files that resolve output somewhere, I'd be happy to see if I can get it to load...our output a 2 second section from Resolve and upload that.

Make sure its a video file, not an audio file. It should have the V01 in the file name, not the A01 or A02.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]