FORUMS: list search recent posts

GOPRO 120fps Avid MC 8.4.2 workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Fiennes
GOPRO 120fps Avid MC 8.4.2 workflow
on Oct 9, 2015 at 1:48:23 pm

Hi all,

Just wanted your views on how to handle to Gopro 4 Shot at 120 fps.

We are working in a 25p project, transcoding to Dnx36. All the standard Gopro is fine but I am not sure how to process this slow mo content with a view of conforming at the end.

I ran it through Gorpo Studio , converting to 25p which gave the desired slow mo effect but Avid can not AMA this and just directs to the AMA plugins website where there is o option for a Cineform plugin

Any help appreciated

W

Freelance Assistant Editor / Post Production Op / Learning to Shoot asap!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: GOPRO 120fps Avid MC 8.4.2 workflow
on Oct 9, 2015 at 3:58:53 pm

I just did a test...converted some GoPro footage to Cineform using GoPro Studio, and AMA Linked to it just fine. I did manually choose the QUICKTIME AMA plugin, and not AUTODETECT. No issues.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nico Babierra
on Oct 9, 2015 at 7:17:50 pm

Hi Will, you might wanna try setting your frame rates with this instructions:

Import

-go to console(ctrl 6/cmd 6)
-type in "IgnoreQTRate True"
-Import your media file through File>Import

AMA link/Linked media

- Open the console (CTRL-6 / CMD-6)
- Type "SetAMAQTForcedFrameRate true 23.976" (or any other frame rate)
- AMA-link to the files you want to have slowed down
- (optional: transcode your source clips)

(Type "SetAMAQTForcedFrameRate False 0" to reset)

Return to posts index

jeff mercer
on Aug 1, 2016 at 9:31:50 pm

Hi Nico,

Hopefully this message gets to you as it has been almost a year since you posted.

I followed your instructions by using the console to import my 120fps GoPro footage into a 2997 project. I'm starting a new project and need to reset the console so I can just import the footage normally. Right now when I try to import, I get the following message:

The console command IgnoreQTR rate was set but the movie you are importing has an audio track. IgnoreQTRate may cause a video motion effect and your audio to be out of sync.

Any idea on how to reset the console so I don't get this message?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 1, 2016 at 11:36:23 pm

What version of MC are you running? If you're MC 8.3 and later, just AMA link and change playback rate to project rate in source settings. It supports both video and audio sources if audio is on the source clip(s).

Michael

Return to posts index

jeff mercer
on Aug 2, 2016 at 1:20:27 am

Hi Michael,

I'm using the latest version. 8.5.3

But does this mean I always have to AMA link my files now instead of doing an import?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 2, 2016 at 1:23:58 am

At least for the slomo material. Why would you rather import than AMA link and transcode? The latter is much faster.

Michael

Return to posts index

jeff mercer
on Aug 2, 2016 at 3:57:40 am
Last Edited By jeff mercer on Aug 2, 2016 at 4:01:05 am

I usually do AMA link then transcode but sometimes I'm bringing in just a couple files that I want to group. I have an older Mac so trying to watch grouped AMA files doesn't play back well. When I bring in a large amount of clips I do use AMA.

Thanks for letting me know about the source setting frame rate function. Hadn't noticed that before. Right now, I'm editing a project in 2997 but I do have some footage that was shot at 2398. All I have to do is bring in the 2398 footage as AMA, then go to source settings and change to the project rate and it will playback on the timeline as 2997? And if so, will that effect audio?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 2, 2016 at 12:06:50 pm

I don't recommend editing with AMA linked media other than under very specific conditions. I suggest AMA link and transcode which creates Avid native media a lot faster than an import as the transcode processes uses all cores versus the one of an import. But if for a couple files, then it may end up being a wash.

When changing the playback rate in source settings, it is doing a frame for frame playback to the project rate. So in your example, 23.976 would play back faster at 29.97 (20% faster). Audio also gets adjusted and sample rate converted to stay in sync, but pitch is not corrected.

Michael

Return to posts index

jeff mercer
on Aug 2, 2016 at 6:22:35 pm

So if I have a 2997 project and want to bring in footage that was shot at 23.976 and I don't want the playback to be faster or the pitch to be off, can I just create a 23.976 project, transcode those files, then open that bin in my 2997 project and drop into the timeline?

Sorry for all the questions. Most of my Avid knowledge has been gained through Google searches and forums like this!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 2, 2016 at 7:10:54 pm

That's certainly one way to do it, and in older versions, the only way to do it. In the 8.x series of releases, you can transcode different rates and formats directly from the one project via the transcode settings. Doing it there, preserves the original rate and duration of the source clips. Only use Source Settings playback for rate change typically used for slomo.

Michael

Return to posts index

jeff mercer
on Aug 2, 2016 at 7:23:33 pm

Got it! Makes sense as I see that option when I transcode, just didn't know how it would effect the footage that didn't match the project frame rate. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to keep the source rate or change to project rate in order for it to stay in sync.

Regards to the slow-mo stuff, it's nice to know I can do it all in the same project instead of creating a separate one with just 60 or 120 fps footage. I guess I should look into the newer features of MC!

Thank you so much for answering all my questions, Michael. Much appreciated!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]