FORUMS: list search recent posts

24 bit vs 16 bit Audio - Project and Transcoding opinons

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Fiennes
24 bit vs 16 bit Audio - Project and Transcoding opinons
on Oct 1, 2015 at 10:00:00 am

Hi all

I have a Media Composer (8.4.2) audio question.

I started a new project to ingest about 7 different formats ranging from PDW_700 (records 24 bit audio) to Canon XF and Gopro/5D (recording at 16 BIt) as well as high quality external audio.

Thus far I have been in a 16 Bit project ( Audio project seetings) but taking every card with it's merit. So transcoding to PCM 48k and the source Bit Depth.

I wondered if there are any problems with this and having mixed Bit Depth or whether, clearly wanting to retain as much quality as possible whilst potentially keeping file sizes down.

Would it be a better idea to change the project and up convert anything and everything to 24 bit in order to make sequences uniform and avoid problems when exporting large sequences to AAF, OMF and Qts in the future.

thanks

Will

Freelance Assistant Editor / Post Production Op / Learning to Shoot asap!!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: 24 bit vs 16 bit Audio - Project and Transcoding opinons
on Oct 1, 2015 at 12:54:31 pm

I would make sure that all audio sources are of the same sample rate and bit depth to avoid mixed sample rate issues downstream as you suggested.

Michael

Return to posts index

Will Fiennes
on Oct 1, 2015 at 1:00:48 pm

Ok. I have minimal footage in at 16bit , all XF305 so will just up convert from now on you reckon.

Any problems that my project started ut as 16bit and had sequences made as such. Have now changed the AUDIO PROJECT settings to 24 bit?

W

Freelance Assistant Editor / Post Production Op / Learning to Shoot asap!!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 1, 2015 at 1:14:53 pm

Changing project to 24bit is fine. DO that first, then only transcode for the 16bit material. There is a setting to show mismatched audio rates as a different color waveform if you want to be sure.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]