FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unable to modify subclips

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gustavo Lucciola
Unable to modify subclips
on Sep 30, 2015 at 11:17:48 pm

Hi,

I've been working on a project for about two weeks, using subclips created when I synced the camera's video with the audio captured on set. The audio files have a few tracks, but the first 2 tracks are always audio mixdowns.

Today I've been told the director doesn't like working with timelines with many tracks. Actually, not only the timelines. He doesn't want any of the subclips to have anything other than the first two tracks with the audio mixdown.

I tried using Modify on the subclips to enable only those tracks but Avid doesn't allow me to.

Is there a way to either remove the extra tracks from the subclips or relink the editing from the timeline to new subclips I can create with just the right tracks in them?

Thanks in advance,
Gustavo Lucciola

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Unable to modify subclips
on Oct 1, 2015 at 7:54:22 am

[Gustavo Lucciola] "Today I've been told the director doesn't like working with timelines with many tracks. Actually, not only the timelines. He doesn't want any of the subclips to have anything other than the first two tracks with the audio mixdown."

Then he will have a BIG problem when it comes time to mix. The audio engineers will hate him...because all they will have to work with is the mixed audio, not the separate mic stems. So unless the audio has timecode, and they will do a full audio conform, it's unwise to do what he wants.

Is he the editor too?

I'd check with the post super/post producer...talk to the audio house...and see what can be done to accommodate him. If they have ways to deal with the way he wants to work.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 1, 2015 at 12:53:06 pm

It is quite common to only sync with the Mix track(s) during editorial knowing that there is a downstream post process. Pro Tools has a feature to do track selection when conforming to get access to the desired track when conforming from the original files. There is functionality in the AutoSync window specifically designed to isolate any range of tracks from the incoming audio when syncing. Should the editor ever need to go back to an ISO track for whatever reason, it is a simple two match frame process. One from the record monitor to load sync clip, turn off V on source clip and hit match frame again on source and it will bring up the sound file at proper position on the MIX+ISO track file.

This does not mean that Media Composer can't do a better job of preparing a timeline when sending over to a sound post process when working with Mix track only, but today it is handled in Pro Tools. And there are several designs I can think of to make this a much better process. But if you are working in something other than Pro Tools that may not have this feature, then editing with all the tracks may be the better way to go.

As far as your current situation, you can always subclip the sync clip with only the desired tracks in them. You cannot modify the tracks as suggested on the Avid Community forum. That can only be done on master clips. As far as already edited timelines. just delete the audio tracks that have the ISO provided no other audio events have been added to those tracks that you want to keep.

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 1, 2015 at 5:12:25 pm

Cool...I just wanted to make sure the audio house has a way of dealing with this before one goes and does this. I know that many prefer to reconform the whole sequence with the master audio.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Gustavo Lucciola
on Oct 1, 2015 at 5:14:17 pm

Michael,

I've been doing that with the newer timelines since they told me about only using those two tracks, so every new scene already has only the mixdowns.

About the scenes I already edited, I thought about deleting the tracks I don't need, but if they use match frame on them, the subclip that will come up will have all the tracks, right? That's the subclip I want to turn off tracks in.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 1, 2015 at 5:18:37 pm

That's something for you to test, it is not something I have needed to do so I don't know off the top of my head.

Michael

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Oct 1, 2015 at 12:54:59 pm
Last Edited By John Pale on Oct 1, 2015 at 12:57:40 pm

Actually, Pro Tools can link to the BWAV files of all the split tracks without them ever being in the sequence, if the time code matches.

edit: Ugh...I see after refreshing, Michael has given a far better and more detailed response.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]