FORUMS: list search recent posts

REDCINE X to Avid Media Composer Workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kimberly Rasilainen
REDCINE X to Avid Media Composer Workflow
on Sep 24, 2015 at 6:14:06 pm

This is my first time doing the REDCINE X PRO to Avid Media Composer Work Flow. I transcoded all the day 1 footage in REDCINE X just fine, exported with Format settings: Avid DNxHD 36 8 bit, resolution 1920 by 1080. I then imported the ALE into Avid Media composer and relinked it to all the mxf files which I had to manually move into an Avid Media files folder on my hard drive and then the mxf folder. However, once I relinked all the footage for the second day, it ended up looking like this. Any ideas as to why/how this happened and how I can fix it? I have tried re-transcoding the footage and trying to re-import it again but always end up with the same result.

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: REDCINE X to Avid Media Composer Workflow
on Sep 24, 2015 at 7:42:14 pm

I'm not sure about what's causing that, but I will point out that usually RED Cine X will output both an AAF and an ALE. ALE doesn't support audio, so typically you want to drag the MXF files to the Avid MediaFiles folder, let it database, import the AAF into a bin to create master clips, and then merge the ALE to the master clips.

Does RED Cine X play out the files this way? Have you tried creating Quicktime files, and playing them outside of the Avid? Just trying to take the Avid out of the equation to see where the problem lies.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Kimberly Rasilainen
on Sep 24, 2015 at 8:17:19 pm
Last Edited By Kimberly Rasilainen on Sep 24, 2015 at 8:20:39 pm

Redcine plays the files back just fine. So, I did some experimenting with exporting quick times, and at first the gray bars remained. And then I changed the crop settings to centre crop and re-exported as quick times then the bars and fuzz were all gone, the videos exported properly. I think maybe these settings were messed up before as well when I previously tried exporting my AvidExport.ale, AAF and MXF files. Do you think perhaps this simple thing could have caused this?

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 25, 2015 at 12:22:37 pm

Have you tried testing with AMA (of whatever its called now)?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 25, 2015 at 2:04:15 pm

The split frame issue may be the result of version of Redcine and other settings, but I would highly recommend NOT just import the ALE and do a relink. In the case of RCxPro, it makes the complete package automatically with MXF, AAF and ALE.

1. Move MXF to MediaFile folders
2. Import AAF into bin for desired project
3. Merge ALE into master clips created by AAF

The extra step adds no time to the process and the metadata is much more protected moving forward. I just got a call from someone the other night that all the SoundTC metadata disappeared from the sequence when generating lists - I asked if they did the ALE import relink? Yes. So while it may not happen all the time, you do not want it to happen at all.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]