FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid importing/exporting issues

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Flynn Papandrea
Avid importing/exporting issues
on Sep 15, 2015 at 1:03:53 am

Hello Cow,

Finally made the move over from FCP to Avid, and I gotta say i'm glad I did. Although, I'm having trouble with importing my 7d footi, and properly exporting it.

Here's my process
1) Create avid file using 1080p/23.967 seq. YCbCR709 for color, 1920x1080.
2)AMA the footi
3)Transcode DNxHD 175 MXF
and here is where things get weird for me...
4)open the footage, images look BETTER than source footage. Crisper, blacks and whites not crunched as in the H264 source files
5) Very happy with the way content looks, reminding me that this is how it looked when we shot it
6)edit timeline and export clip
7) looks like source H264 footage again, crunched blacks and whites
8)Confusion

I'm using a Macbook Pro 13, Solid state drive, 4gb ram, and am having no problem editing. I'd like to find out how I can export the footage to look the way it does while I'm editing in avid. I've done some research on the RGB 601/709 settings, but I could used another hand at it.

Thanks,
Flynn

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Avid importing/exporting issues
on Sep 15, 2015 at 12:37:49 pm

I do believe that's the old Gamma issue with QuickTime.

I thought that was fixed a long time ago?

Do a search here, its been well documented.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 15, 2015 at 1:21:22 pm

You don't mentioned what version of Media Composer you are using. But since v7.x, Avid introduced source side LUT control and I believe the default is to auto-apply a LUT on sources. Check your color transform settings.

In the meantime, when you AMA link to the files, go to source settings for one of your clips and check to see whether there was a LUT applied or not. If so, you can remove it, change it, etc.

Also in 8.4 you can change the target color spaces of the GUI monitors to be Rec 709, or take video ranges and scale it back to full range, etc.

In the end, you need to decide what luma range you want to be working in, and what you are delivering as a master - broadcast (16-235) or streaming (0-255) and color correct accordingly for your primary master.

Michael

Return to posts index

Flynn Papandrea
on Sep 15, 2015 at 8:05:09 pm

Thanks Michael

I'm using 8.1, and yes, I read yesterday that you can change the GUI to 709, which i'll be looking into today. I think the LUT issue, something I was unaware of before, is going to help. As for the broadcasting, I'm going for the web, yet as I stated I love the look of the Avid Preview window, and not the darker, crunched H264, Pro Res, ect ect outputs we tried yesterday. I took the footi into FCP, and see similar results in the preview windows, as well as the H264 output, and I'm comfortable enough to work in FCP for now, as well as do another cut on Avid to learn.

Thank again,
Flynn

Return to posts index

Flynn Papandrea
on Sep 15, 2015 at 7:40:00 pm

Thanks Eric.

I'll look into it. Is it true that MC turns footi into 601, whether it's imported or AMA'ed? If so, I love the look of the 601/709 over the 7d source RGB, yet, I did take the footi into FCP7, where the preview windows are closer to the source video, as well as the H264 output, and love the end results. So, all in all, learning a new program, learning new codecs, still working with one that I feel comfortable with, and covering all the bases sounds good to me.

Thanks again,
Flynn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]