FORUMS: list search recent posts

Automatic Duck Media Copy v3.11 not copying all files

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philippe Brunot
Automatic Duck Media Copy v3.11 not copying all files
on Sep 13, 2015 at 2:11:46 am

Hello everyone,

I am a new user of Automatic Duck and I just realized that it's not copying all the mxf associated with my project. For instance, I have 282 mxf files which are easily identifiable since the file names begin with the project name, yet Automatic Duck decided to copy only 88 out of the 282...

Is this a software error or there a reason for this? For instance, does this mean that the files it did not copy are actually useless to the project??

Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: Automatic Duck Media Copy v3.11 not copying all files
on Sep 13, 2015 at 9:09:08 am

The files copied are the ones used in the sequence. You automatic duck a sequence not a project.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Philippe Brunot
on Sep 13, 2015 at 2:08:55 pm

Ok thank you, that's what I feared was happening..

But then, how do I know which of my numerous sequences has been selected for copy? Because I am dropping into Automatic Duck all the AVB files present in the project's folder of AVID. Would it be the last sequence I opened?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 13, 2015 at 2:15:59 pm

How was the media created in the first place? How it as created can change the Project that is associated with the media.

Michael

Return to posts index

Philippe Brunot
on Sep 13, 2015 at 2:37:06 pm

I'm not sure I understand your question. My workflow is that I create a new sequence by editing day (the name of the sequence being the date). That way I can roll back to previous edits as necessary.

Also, what would you recommend if I want to archive entire AVID projects (not only 1 sequence per project)?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 13, 2015 at 2:42:21 pm

Was the media created in a third party application like Resolve? Was the Media created using Avid DMF to transcode first?

If you look in the MediaTool, there is a column called project that associates the media to the project. That field gets populated at time of media creation (import, transcode etc.). If it was done in a another project, then that media is not associated with current project, etc.

So depending on how Automatic Duck associates media to project, and how media has been created, there can be issues.

One thing to consider is selected all your original master clips and dragging them to a timeline. Then when exporting the AAF, there are settings for "copy" media and you can set up a destination folder/drive. Something to try.

Michael

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Sep 13, 2015 at 4:14:45 pm

I have not used the new version being offered by red giant, but I have used the old version offered by automatic duck, and I always had trouble getting it to copy all the media across. After several tries, I gave up and started my individual folders for projects workflow that I use to this day.

My last attempt was probably 3 or 4 years ago, before anything other than Avid was being used to create media. I was on Avid 5.5 at the time. I would guess 90 percent of the media I was trying to copy came off tape, and was digitized into the box from a deck. After the copy process was done, I would hide my original mxf folders, and have Avid use the media created by the duck. My sequence always had media offline issues.

The old Media Mover program from many years ago seemed rock solid. Not sure if it is still around or not.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 13, 2015 at 6:21:52 pm

The Duck works with AAF...not BINS and full projects. So it won't copy ALL the media in a project...unless you happen to put all of the media into a sequence, and export an AAF (seems silly). The best thing to do would be to make a bin and put ALL of the clips into that bin, and then, in Avid, consolidate that media. Might have to make a couple bins for that.

I've been using Media Copy for a long time, and it copies all the media used in my sequences, full clips...and only footage referenced by the sequence...and I haven't had it miss anything. Again...sequence, not full project.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Philippe Brunot
on Sep 13, 2015 at 7:08:42 pm

Thank to all of your answers.

But then how do I know which sequence Automatic Duck is copying? Indeed, I use version 3.11 of Automatic Duck which is a stand-alone and not a plugin. So when I drop the "sequenceS" avb in Automatic Duck, is it copying the latest sequence in that bin only?

As for archiving an entire AVID project, is Media Mover my best option or is there another software you would recommend?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 13, 2015 at 7:51:14 pm

It most likely is grabbing the media for all sequences in that bin. Have you verified that media is missing for any one of those sequences?

Michael

Return to posts index

Philippe Brunot
on Sep 13, 2015 at 7:57:39 pm

Well that's exactly my problem:
I realized that it's not copying all the mxf associated with my project. For instance, I have 282 mxf files which are easily identifiable since the file names begin with the project name, yet Automatic Duck decided to copy only 88 out of the 282...

Moreover, I dropped in Automatic Duck ALL the avb present in the Avid Project folder so logically all of the 282 mxf files mentioned above should be copied. Yet that's not the case. So does this mean that the material not copied is not used in ANY sequences and can be discarded?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 13, 2015 at 8:07:20 pm

i would do a test where the media that has been copied is put on a drive that is the only active mediafile drive/folders. Open the project and that bin and verify that they all have media.

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 14, 2015 at 12:32:18 am

[Philippe Brunot] "I realized that it's not copying all the mxf associated with my project."

Correct...it won't do that. SEQUENCES ONLY. It's only copying what's in the sequence.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]