FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dongle vs. online activation questions

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Clark
Dongle vs. online activation questions
on Sep 9, 2015 at 7:40:42 pm

Hey everyone,

I just landed an assistant editing gig at a company that uses Media Composer, which is a new software for me. They just upgraded to 8 and are currently using the online activation licenses rather than the dongles, which they always used previously. I understand most of the positives and negatives for each, but am wondering if you can still use Avid without an internet connection if you are using the online licensing method.

My real concern is, what would happen if the internet went out? Would I not be able to launch Media Composer until it comes back online? Wouldn't want the office to be shut out from editing waiting on the internet provider. Is there a grace period or must it check the license every time Avid opens?

Had a hard time finding this information elsewhere. Anyone know? Thanks!

-Matt

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Dongle vs. online activation questions
on Sep 10, 2015 at 12:32:58 am

[Matthew Clark] "but am wondering if you can still use Avid without an internet connection if you are using the online licensing method."

Yes. You only need the connection to activate, or deactivate. Other than that, the machine doesn't ever need to be connected. UNLESS you have the monthly service plan, then it needs that in order to ping home to ensure it's still active.

[Matthew Clark] " what would happen if the internet went out? Would I not be able to launch Media Composer until it comes back online?"

It'll work fine. It doesn't require a solid internet connection in order to work.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matthew Clark
Re: Dongle vs. online activation questions
on Sep 10, 2015 at 9:27:36 pm

Thanks so much Shane!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]