FORUMS: list search recent posts

Another "Segmentation fault" problem

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Schultz
Another "Segmentation fault" problem
on Sep 9, 2015 at 1:17:54 pm

Okay, I've been trying to problem solve this for a while, and I'm not able to.

On only one of my projects I get the "Segmentation fault" in thread "Maid Thread", at address 0x0" alert, and then various problems occur.

2. Avid continually is re-scanning and seeming to try to link to media.

A couple notes.

• All of this media is transcoded/consolidated to MXF on my media drive
• The files that don't seem to be linking are ones that are more recently transcoded. The old ones seem to be loading up okay.
• Everything was working fine until yesterday, when I cosolidated media as I often do without problem. I dragged the contents of one MXF folder "1" into the other folder "2" so that all the project files were in one folder. Then I deleted the empty folder and the two database files in the active folder to allow AVID to rebuild/rescan the database. I've done it many times without a hitch.

But that seems like the point that it went south.

I've tried restarting the computer, tossing the database files again and trying again, and same problem.
It will go on for hours without linking if I let it.

As a control, I opened another project and it opened fine—so it seems to be specific to this project.

I'm running MC 7.0 on a macbook retina. I was planning on upgrading to 8.4. Would anyone recommend doing that now in hopes that it might fix the problem? Or should I try to fix this first?

Thanks for your help, as always!

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
Re: Another "Segmentation fault" problem
on Sep 9, 2015 at 1:21:00 pm

Oh, I also ran the disk utility on both the internal and external media drive and verified permissions. Both we "okay" according to the utility.

Return to posts index

Ryan Jensen
on Sep 11, 2015 at 12:46:44 am

There's a limit to the number of files that can be in the Avid Media Files Folder, that's why there was two. If I'm understanding correctly, when you moved the 1 folder to the 2, you probably went over that max.

Separate the mxf's into at least two folders, you can call it 1 and 2, or whatever, and make sure each folder doesn't have over 2000 files in each. Add a third if needed. It doesn't matter what mxf's are in what folder, just kill off the database files and let Avid re-index it.

Hope that helps!

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Sep 11, 2015 at 2:00:31 pm

Hi Ryan,

Actually, in my case, I didn't go over the 2,000 limit. And AVID didn't automatically create a new MXF folder—I kind of did it manualy by naming the first folder so that AVID would create the 2nd folder (2). It's just my way of knowing which MXF files are new and which were older for backup purposes.

Regardless, I did try your suggestion of taking more out of one folder and putting them in the the other folder so they were roughly equal (about 125 files per folder, well under the maximum). Deleted the database files, and let avid rebuild, but same problem. All the most recent MXF links are still offline.

I actually did upgrade my avid to 8.4, and at least I'm not getting the annoying constnatly trying to relink box that comes up.

So, I might just have to go and create new MXF files for all the most recent MXF files, since everything else seems to be not working??

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 11, 2015 at 5:51:50 pm

I was told years ago that 5000 files is the limit.

I try to keep this reasonable but there are times I forget to check.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 29, 2015 at 3:18:58 pm
Last Edited By Eric Santiago on Oct 1, 2015 at 11:48:58 am

Dont you just love waking one morning and finding this error pop-up :P

It started for me on a new project due to an import of an After Effects logo animation file.

For me the error pops up then crashes Avid.

Fixed it by starting a new project and imported the Bins.

Must be a perm issue :P

Sorry that seems to be the norm from tech support.

Note: not a perm issue just a bad QT file which took a few renders to finally get going. Odd when its something Ive been doing for years.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]