FORUMS: list search recent posts

How Do I Relink To AMA Linked Higher Quality Media?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Thibault
How Do I Relink To AMA Linked Higher Quality Media?
on Sep 8, 2015 at 4:45:06 pm

This is so frustrating. Okay, so I exported my DNG camera original media to DNxHR HQX on an external drive with a duplicate of the DNG directories. I then AMA link to the DNxHR HQX into Media Composer 8.4.1 and then transcode those clips to DNxHR SQ which I then renamed (For example, clip BMCC_SD5_2015-04-20_1950_C0030_A01.mxf was renamed to 79A-1) and cut my sequences with.

Now I want to relink to the sequences to back to the AMA linked DNxHR HQX media and then export an AAF that can be imported into Resolve and relinked to the camera original DNG files.

This is where I get completely lost.

First, in Media Composer, no matter how much I try I cannot link the clips of my sequence to the AMA media. Even though after a relink attempt it will show the correct file name (BMCC_SD5_2015-04-20_1950_C0030_A01.mx) and source path (CTT (3)/DAILIES/11//SD3), the actual clip in the bin remains listed as DNxHR SQ and the clip shows 'Media Offline.' Shouldn't I be able to relink to the higher quality media and see it in the clips/sequence?

If I export this timeline and suck it into Resolve it cannot recognize the original clips because the clip names have been changed to 79A-1, etc. So all I get is a timeline without media attached and no way to track down the original clips.

I hope any of this made sense. I know I've made about a hundred errors here, so any 1., 2., 3., 4. guidelines would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Avid Media Composer 8.4, FCP 7, cutting on an iMac Retina 5K, 27" 4Ghz iCore i7 with 32GB of RAM

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: How Do I Relink To AMA Linked Higher Quality Media?
on Sep 8, 2015 at 5:37:02 pm

Doesn't matter what you rename the clips to, the Source File name or the Tape name remain the same. You don't need to relink to the higher quality files first in MC - just export an AAF from your edit and in Resolve you set the preference to original camera files that have been added to the Media Pool.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Thibault
on Sep 8, 2015 at 5:45:39 pm
Last Edited By Michael Thibault on Sep 8, 2015 at 5:48:36 pm

Even when I export an AAF and try to import that into Resolve with the preference set to "Link to source camera files" it doesn't work. And this is both ways: An AAF exported from the transcoded proxy media or from another timeline where I eye matched the AMA media and overcut it so the sequence matches exactly except for the extension.

I do not have tape names. I was under the impression this wasn't required anymore for digital media. Is that correct?

Oh, and in some cases I actually do want to relink to the higher quality media. In this case it's so I can 'easily' output a reel for one of the actors.

I can't believe I'm on hour four of this. It can't be this difficult, can it?

Avid Media Composer 8.4, FCP 7, cutting on an iMac Retina 5K, 27" 4Ghz iCore i7 with 32GB of RAM

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 8, 2015 at 8:25:49 pm

[Michael Thibault] "I do not have tape names. I was under the impression this wasn't required anymore for digital media. Is that correct? "

Reel Numbers...tape names...are still VERY relevant. Now they are the names of the CARD OFFLOAD FOLDERS of the tapeless media. I name those very much like I do tapes...and if they don't automatically get added to the clips when you AMA link to them, you need to manually add them. The basic ways Avid tracks media is through REEL NUMBER and TIMECODE....and the unique media ID number that's in the metadata.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Thibault
on Sep 8, 2015 at 8:29:42 pm

Do the Reel Numbers from resolve import as Tape in Avid?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 8, 2015 at 9:14:53 pm

When third parties create Avid native media using Avid's licensed SDK (which Resolve does), the file name or the REEL ID ends up in the TAPE column. Anything imported or AMA linked ends up in SOURCE FILE. One can relink across columns.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Thibault
on Sep 8, 2015 at 9:17:47 pm

So... basically I'm boned? Is this why nothing links up? Will modifying the Tape column in Avid and adding the Reel # in Resolve fix this?

God, my head is spinning. Friggin' TAPE NAMES in 2015.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 8, 2015 at 9:28:59 pm

No, I have conformed in Resolve with mixed sources as third parties are aware of this. Tape still exists in many workflows. The issue is that Avid has yet to let third parties apply metadata to the Source File field when creating media.

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 8, 2015 at 10:15:18 pm

Avid!?! WTH!? Stop adding new features and update the OLD ONES for the current shooting formats!

(I know they read this site...well, Marianna does. And she doesn't make these decisions...)

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Sep 9, 2015 at 12:08:01 am

Relinking across different sources and timecodes was introduced in 7.2 or 7.3 I believe.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Thibault
on Sep 9, 2015 at 4:26:45 pm

OMG, right? I'm on DAY TWO of this nonsense. I don't now why EVERYTHING in Avid has to be so damn difficult. It's insane. If Apple hadn't stabbed FCP right in the heart Avid would most likely be bankrupt already. Instead, they're back in the mix and as buggy and money grubbing as EVER. Ugh.

Okay, I'm done ranting now.

Return to posts index

stavro
on Oct 23, 2015 at 1:09:21 pm

Have you tried duplicating the clip names to the cam roll in both the AMA bin and the sequence with show all clips in bin display? Then relink by CAmroll.

Return to posts index

Michael Thibault
on Oct 23, 2015 at 4:55:34 pm

Hi, stavro.

Funny thing, THIS ISSUE turned out to be THIS ISSUE:

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/45/902188

Avid has spent 3.5 hours remote driving my workstation a month ago and tried to figure it out only to hit a wall. After supplying them bins, media, and screen shots for them to tech on their end they now seem to have completely bailed on helping me. After not hearing from them for THREE WEEKS they closed my case number. When I contacted them about it they apologized and promised to call me last Monday. They didn't. To paraphrase Archer, "That's just classic Avid."

Eventually I just re-transcoded the whole show again via Resolve and dragged the database .mdb file into a bin. Bypassing the AMA/Link Media plugin 'solved' the problem. If 'solving' equals 'avoiding it like the plague.'

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 23, 2015 at 5:17:58 pm

Did Avid support ever correct themselves and say that Resolve MXF is not supported? Thee may be user error in different workflows, but both MXF OPAtom and MXP OPAtom 1a work fine in MC if done correctly.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Thibault
on Oct 23, 2015 at 5:46:42 pm

No. Avid disappeared with their tail between their legs. The last statement I had from them regarding that matter was that it was, “The Media Composer plugin for AMA link does not support the MXF wrappers from Davinci.”

I'm not going to get into a flame war about whether it's correct or not. I'm simply telling you the facts of what they told me. Are they clueless? Duh. But being as they seem hellbent on AVOIDING solving the problem, I have no idea what the 'real answer' is. But I do know this; WHATEVER the workflow, if you pull media into Media Composer and it CHANGES THE TIMECODE that's clearly NOT RIGHT. Software has bugs and this seems like a HUGE one.

As for my show, I'm in the process of overcoming the whole damned thing because there really is no solution coming. My original timecode was modified by Media Composer, and as slow and laborious as it seems, at least that is a way of getting me out of this flustercuck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]