FORUMS: list search recent posts

Animatte Tracking of Two Elements to Each Other?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nina Lucia
Animatte Tracking of Two Elements to Each Other?
on Sep 3, 2015 at 10:02:46 pm

I have two takes of the same shot (window in bg that needs to be replaced), both of which are moving around quite a bit. I need to take the window from one and put it into the other.

I have gotten the tracking for the cut out I made in animatte for the fg layer. Now I need to figure out how/if I can use tracking to get the window of the second element, the other take, to go into the cut out area of the fg shot.

Is there a way to do that? To track the bg shot with the fg shot?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Animatte Tracking of Two Elements to Each Other?
on Sep 3, 2015 at 11:27:44 pm

You'll find that Avid is a very poor compositing application. This is something best done in After Effects. Avid can be made to do a great many things. But what you are attempting...alas...isn't one of them.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
on Sep 4, 2015 at 2:27:38 am

Thanks Shane!

Don't know After Effects yet so we'll see what I come up with. Maybe 567 key frames. :)

Return to posts index

Alain Dessauvage
on Sep 6, 2015 at 12:27:38 pm
Last Edited By Alain Dessauvage on Sep 6, 2015 at 12:57:56 pm

Not true Shane, Avid's compositing tools are quite good: tracking and stabilization, keyframeable garbage mattes with bezier splines etc.

What you need to do:

- put the background on V1 and the foreground on V2
- stabilize the foreground using the Region Stabilize filter. You should be able to completely lock the foreground element otherwise things will get difficult
- alt drag the 3D warp filter on V2 and the select the tracking module
- track the background using one or two tracking points. The second one is necessary if also tracking rotation or scaling
- enable the tracking and reposition the foreground element on the background
- crop your foreground element. If you need a more precise crop, alt drag the animatte filter and create a custom shape
- this shape can then be tracked as well, if necessary.

To my knowledge, Avid is the only NLE that enables this kind of composition work without leaving the software

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0220918/

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
on Sep 15, 2015 at 8:11:04 pm
Last Edited By Nina Lucia on Sep 15, 2015 at 9:26:42 pm

Thanks for the tip Alain.

One thing though, I do not want to stabilize the fg. That shot is good as is. Is there a way to do the shot without that step? Stabilize the bg then track it to the movement of the fg shot?

I have time to play around with it now so I'll try what you mentioned without stabilizing the fg and see what happens.

---

So I ended up manually keyframing the bg and for a 307 frame shot I have 59 keyframes. It jiggles a little bit but it's not too bad!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]