FORUMS: list search recent posts

To upgrade or not to upgrade?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Schultz
To upgrade or not to upgrade?
on Aug 31, 2015 at 11:55:35 am

I'm running Avid 7.0 on a macbook Retina, 16gb memory and working in Mac OS 10.8.5

Not really having any issues—things are running smoothly, for the most part.

But for other reasons, besides AVID (Mainly for the Adobe CS), I'm thinking of updating my OS to the latest, which I'm pretty sure would force me to update my AVID as well.

I've heard things from folks who have upgraded to the latest AVID hinting at speed and performance issues that weren't there before. Just a general sluggishness and slow/delayed response, which is not completely debilitating, but is, at the least, somewhat annoying.

Have other folks experienced issues when upgrading—both the mac OS and/or going from AVID 7.0 to one of the more recent 8.xx versions? I'm waiting until some important projects are finished before moving ahead with this, but wanted to get any opinions.

Thanks in advance

Dan S.


Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade?
on Aug 31, 2015 at 3:14:24 pm

The speed hits that people complain about are in upgrading from 5.5 or earlier. There's been a noted difference from the much earlier versions and the later ones. MC 7 to 8.4...I don't think you'll notice any difference.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def


Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade?
on Aug 31, 2015 at 4:55:08 pm

I agree with Shane.


Michael


Return to posts index


Daniel Schultz
Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade?
on Aug 31, 2015 at 5:17:56 pm

Thanks, to both of you!


Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade?
on Sep 1, 2015 at 5:26:35 pm

One more Question about this: Can I keep my MC 7.0 on my computer and have 8.4.0 installed as well (just in case I have an issues, I have a fallback)? Or is it one or the other?

Apparently I can upgrade to MC 8.4.0 with my current Mac OS 10.8.5.

Thanks again!


Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade?
on Sep 1, 2015 at 6:31:40 pm

Sorry, only one version on the computer at a time. But if one doesn't work, just go back to the other.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def


Return to posts index


Daniel Schultz
Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade?
on Sep 2, 2015 at 11:48:46 am

okay, so I lied. I have another question. (Isn't it always the case?)

I don't have the original disk for my Avid 7.0.
If I install 8.4, then decide to go back for any reason, does Avid have any download options for earlier versions? Can I get 7.0 from their site if I need it?

Thanks again!!!


Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade?
on Sep 2, 2015 at 12:43:29 pm

If you have an account and log into to the download center, you will find:





Michael


Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade?
on Sep 2, 2015 at 12:45:25 pm

Awesome. I think I'm safe now!!
Thanks, Michael!!


Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]