FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVID - Resolve Round Trip Workflow With .DNG Files

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nikhil Nath
AVID - Resolve Round Trip Workflow With .DNG Files
on Aug 23, 2015 at 9:25:36 am

Hi Guys,
I have a new project in which some scenes are shot in raw format .DNG at 200 FPS in 2K resolution for slow motion. I have to edit it in MC 8.3 and then grade it later inside Resolve 11 Lite. I have no idea how to create a workflow, since this is the first time I'm getting my hands on .DNG files. The master project should be at 24 FPS. Can someone please help me out?

I'd like to know how AVID editors deal with these type of files that comes with different frame rates.

I'm sorry if this is an already asked question. I just couldn't find any topic on this.

Please help.

Nikhil
Post Production Editor

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: AVID - Resolve Round Trip Workflow With .DNG Files
on Aug 23, 2015 at 2:24:39 pm

Your first step is to convert into a codec that Media Composer understands. The easiest one for DNG is Resolve. Open the files in Resolve and make sure you set the REEL properly (use clip filename works best with Media Composer/Resolve roundtrips and AMA linking). I need to do a little research on the frame rate and what timecode will be applied ensuring that Resolve does not change it via motion effect, but by a frame for frame export. Off the top of my head, I would almost be tempted to export DPX from the DNG files to have a frame for frame filename and timecode reference, then AMA link the DPX into Media Composer. From there you can change the source to be "same as project" resulting in a slomo. But again I need to do some quick test to confirm the conform...

Michael

Return to posts index

Nikhil Nath
on Aug 23, 2015 at 3:37:21 pm

Thank you so muh for your help. I will try to build a rough edit with DPX. I'll be honest, I literally have no experience in working with slow motion shot in DNG. So it's very confusing. :(

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 23, 2015 at 8:17:11 pm

Let me know what the timecode on that clip looks like when you step out through it for a few seconds worth - what is it counting as?

I don't know if I would edit DPX directly, but once AMA linked you can do a transcode to DNxHD/HR.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]