FORUMS: list search recent posts

MXF files relinking as DV 25P 420 (PAL) instead of DNxHD 36 (HD 1080p)

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Haberer
MXF files relinking as DV 25P 420 (PAL) instead of DNxHD 36 (HD 1080p)
on Aug 13, 2015 at 5:21:05 am

I have been importing AAFs from Premiere into Avid 8 and the majority of them come through just fine. They were exported as Legacy AAF single clip and a few audio tracks (aka no edits). The MXF files are in the correct folders for Avid to see them. For some reason on a few sequences they show up in Avid and will only relink as DV 25P 420 (PAL) even though ALL the MXF files are DNxHD 36 (1080p). When I delete the databases to rebuild they are still relinking as the PAL files. How can I get Avid to decide these files are actually DNxHD files instead of DV 420?

If there are other threads dealing with this I couldn't find them. Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: MXF files relinking as DV 25P 420 (PAL) instead of DNxHD 36 (HD 1080p)
on Aug 13, 2015 at 12:44:52 pm

If the files are not a valid HD frame size, then they can't be DNX36...so they probably really are SD. DNXHD can only be HD. The new DNXHR codec can be anything from SD to 4k, but you are not working with that.

Return to posts index

Kevin Haberer
on Aug 13, 2015 at 5:03:20 pm

MediaInfo says they are HD and they were created the exact same way the rest of the project was created - with DNxHD 36 settings. I also get an error when they load into the project:

Assertion failed:pVCinfo !=NULL file something something something SWCodecinterfaceCM.cpp, line 238

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Aug 17, 2015 at 1:42:19 am

Sounds like corrupt media then. If you have access to the original non-Avid MXF files, you might need to reload.

If thats not a possible. Try bringing it into DaVinci Resolve light and transcoding it.

Return to posts index

Greg Hayes
on Jan 22, 2016 at 10:10:34 am

Hey Kevin,
Did restranscoding in resolve fix this issue?
I've had exactly the same thing happen,

I imported an AAF from premire into Avid (long story short there were some comps built in AE but I need to supply proper EDLs to the post houses), the AAF was made of 5 clips or so, 3 wont link now as they're being recognised as DV 25P 420 (PAL),
My media creation is all set to DNxHD36, I've trashed the database, reimported.

And it's definitely the AAF that has done this, I opened a backup project without the ISIS media mounted so everything was offline and it all read as should, DNxHD36.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jan 24, 2016 at 6:03:35 pm

Where was this media originally created. You are both coming from Premiere, and having issues reading media in Avid. You both say your project is set to 36dnxhd, but are you both saying you transcoded media in Avid to 36, took it into Premiere, cut it and then sent It back to Avid? or are you using premiere to make the mxf media in the first place? I've personally had very little success going from Premiere to Avid, so I'm not surprised you are having issues, but I'm not really sure what your workflow was.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Greg Hayes
on Jan 25, 2016 at 10:24:39 am

Hey Glenn,
Thanks for getting back to me, it's a bit of a weird one actually.
The workflow for the most part is standard, the DIT transcoded to DnxHD36 on set in resolve and has supplied us, into the avid like normal, but we're working with directors who like to do their own effects in AE.
So the edits in avid, then we have a lot of temp comp work done in AE, but we need to send a proper EDL of the edit to where its being finished, but as say the edit has a comp in it called 'lemons_2.mov' from AE, I need to get the assets from AE into that EDL.
So AE- send to Premiere, from Premiere make an AAF, import that AAF into Avid (without Avid playing up) and then replace the comp with the rushes used.
Bit long but the directors are fussy so it has to be done this way,

Out of about 14 comps I have to replace it's worked maybe once,
I haven't fixed the problem yet but still looking into it,
But I need to fix it soon so will let you know how I get on,

Assistant Editor @whitehousepost LDN
Avid - FCP7 - FCPX - Premier Pro CC - Resolve 12

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jan 25, 2016 at 3:06:17 pm

Other than the original mxf files in AE, are the other assets high res?

why not just export quicktimes of each layer out of AE and import them into Avid. Yes you would have to manually import them into avid, and cut them into the timeline, but might be quicker.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]