FORUMS: list search recent posts

Relinking Media

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hollie Cooper
Relinking Media
on Aug 11, 2015 at 3:28:23 pm

I'm sure this has probably been asked and answered 100 times but was really looking for a little more explanation if possible.

I've been working on a project for a few months (files all stored on an external drive) I came back to editing and switched over to a new Mac. This was all fine because my files were stored on an external harddrive...except for about 10 audio files, which were kept on the Mactintosh HD of the old computer.

I copied the audio files over to my external hard drive but obviously Avid is struggling to find these files, even when going through the Relink option. So the question is, how do I link these files back to avid, now the source files are kept in a new location.

I'm not sure if it's to do with the MXF folder, I can't seem to see these missing audio files in the root MXF folder, if this is the case, how do I create an MXF file of the missing audio and relink to the audio that is in my sequence?

This would be really helpful as I'm planning to transfer the whole project and all files to a more portable harddrive but don't want to mess anything up on my avid sequence, so when I come to edit avid can't find anything....or if I do end up creating a whole bunch of offline media, I'll be able to relink more easily.

THANKS!!!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Relinking Media
on Aug 11, 2015 at 5:31:34 pm

Look on the root level of that old Mac...do you see an OMFI folder? Sometimes Avid will still make one of those. Copy that to the external drive...root level. If you have one....OMFI folder, that is.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Hollie Cooper
on Aug 11, 2015 at 5:32:42 pm

Thanks yes! Silly me for missing that!!!

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Aug 12, 2015 at 1:24:13 pm

Sort of the same situation but probably more volatile.

After a lengthy project dealing with XDCAM, PNGs and Quick Time clips the Editor decided to delete the AvidMediaFiles folder off the floating Avid External drive.
I am waiting for him to bring back the Mac Pro and see if the Avid Attic has the project intact.
Oh did I mention he also deleted the project from the Avid Projects folder.
Im not sure what he was thinking but I def have all the original footages and graphics.
However Ive had this problem before rebuilding such a project without the precomputes and what nots.
To this day the precomputes confuse me and scare the beejesus out of me :P

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Aug 13, 2015 at 3:54:59 pm

In regards to my question, hbrock at Avid Forum posted this:

Importing files, static images or Quicktimes creates Avid Media. The only way to recreate that Avid Media is to repeat the Import process by using Batch Import as there is no relationship between the source and the media beyond the imported file location. No reel number and no time code means no relinking.

Titles, graphic images with Pan & Zoom moves and rendered effects are alll pre-computes (aka renders). Renders don't migrate, they need to be recreated if you didn't move those files to another machine. Generally that's too much trouble as it's very hard to determine what pre-computes are used and which ones are no longer necessary, so re-rendering is preferable. Titles need to be re-created by selecting a sequence, setting in and out points and selecting "Re-create Title Media".

AMA is a more robust alternative to Importing as it uses the metadata of the original source file to create a link to any Avid Media that is created by Consolidating and/or Transcoding. If you brought in your XDCAM sources via AMA (keep those AMA bins!) and didn't have the Avid Media you could relink to the original source media by doing a relink to AMA sources as long as those clips are online.

Finally, the media database files inside the Avid MediaFiles folder are just a index of how many files the folder should contain (that's why it re-scans if you add a file to the MediaFiles folder) as well as a what timecode and reel number (or source name) goes with each clip so Media Composer knows what media is online.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]