FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re-Timing Slow Motion to Normal Motion

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Hubbard
Re-Timing Slow Motion to Normal Motion
on Aug 5, 2015 at 9:09:18 pm

Hi Everyone,

Our DP shot a bunch of stuff on the Sony FS7 at 180fps, with a 29.97 timebase. So the slow effect is basically "baked in".

When I AMA link to the files, AVID sees them as 29.97, and I've transcoded them as such.

Now our editor has decided that they overdid it on the slomo, and would like to retime a bunch of it back to normal speed, but doing it the usual way with a timewarp filter is yielding choppy, odd looking results.

Is there a way to retime this footage to 29.97 with normal motion? I know Cinema Tools might do something like this, but I don't currently have access to this software (though I could try), and I've never used it with .mxf video files. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: Re-Timing Slow Motion to Normal Motion
on Aug 5, 2015 at 11:39:05 pm

It's going to look weird because effectively the footage was shot with a very fast shutter (seeing how it was 180fps). You'll need to add motion blur to match the look of regular footage.
AFAIK, Cinema Tools only works on QT files, not MXF.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 6, 2015 at 1:46:49 pm

You are also losing a lot of motion resolution in the process as frame will need to be dropped to maintain duration. Basically it is dropping 150 frames and blending frames to result in the 29.97 every second. That, combined with the high shutter speed as Job is mentioning, will give it a very stacato look and would need some frame blending to make it appear as though it were shot at 29.97fps.

Michael

Return to posts index

Doug Hubbard
on Aug 6, 2015 at 2:18:25 pm

Thanks, that's more or less what I feared. Would this frame blending or motion blur be something I can add in AVID or would I need to round trip out of it to some other software?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 6, 2015 at 3:32:38 pm

Avid's native effects do not offer any control over motion blur. There may be more control if you have Boris other AVX effects, although I cannot point you to one specific one to use. Most people would go to After Effects. If on Windows, you could try the free Fusion from Blackmagic.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]