FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid to DaVinci F3 Workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brittany DeLillo
Avid to DaVinci F3 Workflow
on Aug 4, 2015 at 2:33:46 am

I have some footage from an F3. I have a myriad of questions.

1) I have MXF media and MP4 media. Which do I use? Which is better? Which has more color data?

2) I read a lot about rewrapping the MXF media for use in FCP7 but not much about how to get it into Avid. The easiest workflow is transcoding to DNxHD 36 in Resolve (because for some reason, it can read it just fine), editing with the DNxHD, then exporting a finished EDL/AAF to Resolve for color and conform. Is this a smart choice?

3) The MP4 media DOES AMA into Avid. I've tried the recent 3-column trick that was posted here but it doesn't work with these files because DaVinci CAN'T read them. Should I work right off the AMA (its a short film so not a TON of footage)? Should I transcode it? Rewrap it? If I transcode it, should I make it DNxHD36 or just play it safe with 145? And if so, what does my trip to Resolve look like later?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Avid to DaVinci F3 Workflow
on Aug 4, 2015 at 2:53:18 am

1) MXF.

2) Avid's native format is MXF...so no need to re-wrap. Just AMA link to the footage and consolidate if you want to work at full res...transcode if you want to work at lower res. OR...what you said is fine. If the final online will be done in resolve, then this method is fine.

4) Leave the MP4 files alone. They are lower quality...more highly compressed.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Brittany DeLillo
on Aug 4, 2015 at 3:07:07 am

Cool, then I'll run it all through resolve first.

But, strangely enough, Avid won't import the MXF files. It gives me this error when I try to AMA link to them:

If I try to simply "Import" the clip I get this error:

Thankfully I can run all of this through DaVinci. But why can't I import the media into Avid directly? I thought it was a plug-in issue initially but I'm fully upgraded. Was the media copied wrong perhaps?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 4, 2015 at 3:44:00 am

Do you have the AMA pluging for that camera type installed? Although not every camera is supported yet. I know that, for example, XAVC S isn't supported. Look for the camera in the list of AMA plugins on the Avid site, and download it if there. If not there, it's one of the few cameras not supported yet, in which case Resolve is best. There are also cases where, eve if supported, resolve is best as it converts faster.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Brittany DeLillo
on Aug 4, 2015 at 4:48:09 am

Yeah, I double-checked to make sure it was a supported format. It is and I've read other people had success importing the files. Not sure what the deal is. Maybe the whole folder structure wasn't copied over, causing it to fail?

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 4, 2015 at 6:52:07 am

Or the file path has an odd character like []{}#%^*+¥£€><?\. Those cause issues. Also try installing all the e AMA plugins. I know Canon C300 needs more than the MXF one. Only works if I install others. Not sure which so I install them all. No harm.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 4, 2015 at 3:02:18 pm

If you are making Avid native media via Resolve, you need to create OPAtom and not OPAtom 1a. Then select the codec you want to work with , such as DNxHD 145, etc. Those files go directly into the numbered folders found in the Avid managed Avid MediaFiles/MXF folder structure at the root level of the each of the drives.

You cannot drag OPAtom files onto a bin. This has been a long time request to allow that to happen, then move/copy files to the Avid MediaFiles folder and associate with project...

Once you do copy files to this folder, you either need to generate an AAF for the "dailies" out of Resolve or from a bin, navigate to the numbered folder where the files reside and import the mob.msm file (can't recall full name of file, not in front of a system. Only one of those two .msm files will import. When it does, it creates the master clips.

Michael

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Aug 4, 2015 at 5:21:45 pm
Last Edited By Robert Ober on Aug 4, 2015 at 5:35:02 pm

[Michael Phillips] "If you are making Avid native media via Resolve, you need to create OPAtom and not OPAtom 1a. Then select the codec you want to work with , such as DNxHD 145, etc."

For those unaware, what MP is referring to is that MXF is a container which has two major forms. Avid uses the OP Atom spec which keeps audio and video separate. Sony and most others use the OP 1A spec which puts the audio and video in a single file.

As mxf is a container, it can have one of several codecs. The Sony mxfs may have XDCAM style mpg2, XAVC-I/G/S, or perhaps even ProRes.

So just saying one recorded mxf's does not tell us everything we need to know to help someone.

Y'all be cool,
Robert

Robert A. Ober
IT Consultant, Vidcaster, & Freelancer
http://www.infohou.com
Houston, TX

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]